Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spray Room Exhaust Fan

a fan in a spray room booth is called "explosion proof" for a reason! not fire proof nor resistant, 21 years ago i was spraying in the back of what was then my shop, (had no money) i was spraying laquer and simply using a 32" pedestal fan to move the air "BOOM" when it ignites it does not keep blowing in the wind/fan direction it follows the fuel, i got lucky and lost my armhair, eyebrows and most of my hair, nothing ignited beyond that as i was using a hose and the pot was remote. don't mess with this!!!! tommorrow i post some pics of our 1600' booth and two spraybooths with both sprinkler and fire suppression. i have two smaller tube fans and a booth i mught sell, they are perfect for small applications, if you only need a temporary booth you can build a rolling wall line it with galvanized sheet and install a ep fan like graingers, i hope one would notice how hard they are to find and you never see a used one!!! there is a reason for this, if you ignite your house or shop and you insurance finds the fan not ep proof (and they will) you can kiss your claim goodbye

you can find them in poultry barns and automotive applications, the grain industry sell's them as well.

jim mcgrew

ps keep a real good fire extinguser near as well!!

yall got me on this, it is not always the spark or the electrics that start the fire, it is the metal blades!!

Gerald...
    2nd the explosion proof motor for all the resons above. To acquire the proper size (CFM) fan, take the height and width of the booth. for example, 8' wide 8' high, 64 square ft. multiply by 100 for minimum CFM. 8 by 8 by 20 ft long booth = minumum 6,400 CFM.
    Gary

When i was doing spraying myself i got by on anything i could cobble together that worked. when we started having employees spray that is when i felt the guilt to do it right or suffer the wrath of the authorities and my concious.
    i think with fire suppression and everything else we spent about $8,000.00 for a small booth with 24'' 5hp fan. we also had to be in an area zoned for spray painting.
    then we had to teach the employees courses in spray painting safety and have them sign off on classes so we could prove we did that. then had them go to medical center to be tested for lung problems to qualify that their lungs were healthy enough to wear paint masks and to have benchmark for any health changes due to spraying. We had to have properly fitted masks and no beards were allowed with masks We had to get air fed mask with hood and oiless compressor for two componet paints. put up posters near booth about safety. keep files of msds available and send copies to fire dept. have the suppression system checked each year and the powder replaced every 3 years. get permits, have drawings made. we had to run wires to ground everything including mixing station and special thinner cans. have special explosion proof cans for rags. have a company come and properly dispose of the solvents we used for cleaning.
    the booth had a guage to tell when to change the filters which were expensive too. also had to coat the floor and the sides of booth with rubber stuff so we could peel off paint build up.
    we did not get make up air which caused some issues sucking the carbon monoxide from the gas heaters so we opened the garage door and it was cold but safer. had to keep heaters 25 ft from booth with exposed pilot lights, etc.
    we also had to have a designated safety person plus a book about a thousand pages with all our safety info for shop.
    however i found out in our area it is all about the volume of spraying that determined what had to be done.

It really seemed overwhelming. We have downsized since and i am happier. Things can be so complicated to do everything right and they take more money than it is worth sometimes.

i do think doing the math for the correct cfm for the size booth is important but the filters determine the efficiency also. A friend of mine built his own booth using furnace filters and things are working fine for him. he does not spray more than a gallon every few months.

tauton press has a good video on "spray basic's" i make all employee's watch it, if you are a small shop which all of us are or were then a little prevention can go a long way, were as none is a sure sign of disaster!!

jim mcgrew

You might also consider switching to a water based finish. I have been spraying water base for over ten years partly because of the fire hazard. The fumes are also not as toxic.

A spray booth for water base doesn't require an explosion proof motor and makes the spray booth easier and cheaper to construct.

you might want to check this thread out
    www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/37973.html?1232479608

my booth, commercial, we have two booths in a room devoted to spraying

38104.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I took the plunge for an explosion proof fan (see my link above)

It doesn't make sense, I agree, to risk a brand new workshop building on a fan not rated for flammable vapors.

Gerald