Thread: Coroplast ???

Default Coroplast ???

I have a customer that wants some cutouts done in Coroplast. The design file he sent me is very detailed with small items and I don't think coroplast is the right choice for the project. The problem is the hollow core of the plastic and the fine details. Anyone have any inexpensive ideas to replace the coroplast material. Customer says the project will not allow costly material in the budget. Go figure!
    Any ideas welcome.

Yes you could recommend another product but you can also do a quick evaluation of the time it would take to cut this, using two bits, and tell him how much. That way you will do both of you a favor and see if he even wants to spend the money on machining.

I assume when you say inexpensive, you mean near the cost of Coroplast and that we are refering to 3/16" or 4mm Coroplast.

There really is not much as cheap as Coroplast, but it does not machine very clean. We cut quite a bit of it for signs. Every other sheet material is 3-4 times more money. coroplast is $10-$12 per 4x8 sheet in our area, Sintra/Komatex machines very well, but is about $35 in 3mm per 4x8 sheet. 1/4" MDF might be a good choice, I can't get it in 4x8 sheets around me and you have to seal it really well for outdoor use. I can only get 1/4" MDF in 2'x4' pieces.

We have been looking for cheap sheet goods to cut Halloween decorations out of and there is just not much in 1/4" materials that machines well and costs less than $40 sheet.

If anyone knows of any other choices for $10-$20 sheet goods, I would like to know also.

Fred

Paper-coated foam (Fome-Cor and the like) is a possibility for Halloween decorations. I'm not finding 1/4", but with its paper faces, 3/16" might be stiff enough for you. It's about $0.63 per sq.ft. in small quantities. Five sheets of 36"x48" is $37.80. See:
    http://store.foamboardsource.com/foa...th-memory.html

Home Depot has 5-ply 1/4" birch plywood in 48"x96" sheets for $25. Note that it uses interior-type glue.

No related to the Halloween decorations posting, but they also have 11-ply 3/4" birch plywood for $40 a 48"x96" sheet. A poor-persons Baltic Birch. Surprisingly few voids. Good for your shop fixtures and the like.

What is your customer's objective?

If he is wanting you to make stencils, use Polystyrene. Around here, a 4' x 8' sheet about 1/16" thick cost us $20, and it's great for making very detailed stencils.

If he is wanting signs, you might want to suggest vinyl lettering on Coroplast instead of cutout Coroplast. It's hard to tell black vinyl from cutout areas at a distance.

Hope this helps!