Thread: Can i run my bench top cnc off of a genartator

rsclark@harter.net Guest

Default Can i run my bench top cnc off of a genartator

i was thinking is it possible to run a cnc off of a genarator or will that hart the cnc or the computer

BattenProducts@charter.net Guest

Roger,

In my opinion, "yes" you can run the cnc and computer on a generator assuming that the generator has MORE than enough power to drive the TOTAL load applied to it. How much more? I would suggest about 25% to 50%. Many variables come into play in a situation like this. If you try this, I would strongly recommend that you place a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) device "in line" with the computer and cnc controller. The UPS devices should help level out voltage variations (up to a limit). Be sure to use large diameter drop cords to help reduce "voltage drop". After starting the generator, wait several minutes and allow it to "stabilize" before "plugging in" any drop cords. "Turn on" only one device at the time until you get both the computer and controller up and running.

Be sure to ask the Shopbot company what they recommend.

I have two generators and have used them several times over the past few years due to ice storms and hurricanes. So far, I have not damaged any equipment (refrigerators, freezers, TV, computers, water pump, etc) by using the generators.

May I guess that you are considering using your benchtop machine in a "portable" manner (in a trailer) to make signs or plaques or something at a market? If so, I would like to know more because I also have a benchtop Shopbot in addition to a PRT96 and I am looking for more "jobs" for the benchtop machine.

Good luck, Gene

Guys,
    Another option would be to use the genset to either charge a battery bank and/OR go directly to an inverter such as a Trace or Heart.While it adds some hardware to the rig it offers some benefits as well; the inverters usually act to smooth out the load,you can charge your batteries before getting to the site where you'll be working, and you can usually run your machinery off the battery bank for awhile without having to listen to the noise of the genset.In some venues that last point could be important.It also means you can get away with a smaller genset to just "top off" the battery bank.
    I've briefly run my rig off a small solar setup, and with the exception of the Porter Cable 3.25 HP router being such an energy hog, everything else ran fine.If I were to do a mobile setup I'd consider something smaller like a Bosch or Makita which also have the added advantage of being MUCH quieter then the PC router, and they both draw less power...

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

I don't see why you couldn't....Just make sure that your generator has enough spare juice in case there is a surge like starting the router up.

Skyscrapers are welded with welders powered by generators. They are typically in the 400 Amp range...So just make sure the gennie is big enough and you will be fine.

I recall that someone had a Camp ShopBot and ran their setup on a gennie because the commercial power went out.

Good Luck,
    Brady

normand@sculpteur.ca Guest

I had a 3hp pc router that ran on 120v ac or dc.About 15 yrs ago.

ecnerwal Guest

So long as the generator is good, no problem. I just got my PR96 set back up, no powerline, fired up on the generator, no problem other than the noise (audible, not bad power) of the generator.