Thread: New love cross product...

Default New love cross product...

I finished another love cross prototype for a client out of Alder. I used Vcarve Pro 4.0 and it's amazing texture feature with a 1/4" ballnose to make a hand carved looking cross. It is about 12" tall. The pictures don't do it justice.

It takes 4 bit changes and 22 minutes of machine time, there is room for improvement and if it goes production ganging them up will help with bit changes. I was pleased there was very little hand clean up. I did the keyhole on the back at my router station.

24194.jpg

24195.jpg

The design is copyrighted. I started this project over a year ago and have been making wood crosses of various designs for the client since.

The wood... I chose Alder to prototype... honestly? because a piece was laying on the rack that was large enough :-) Now having seen it and knowing how well it machined... I wouldn't mind using Alder for the finished project if I can find a good finish for it.

As a result... any finishing suggestions are welcome.

As for the wood... my original idea was to use Brazillian Cherry and/or Walnut. Any pitfalls with these or can someone suggest something else.

Robert

oh, i thought it said "ovel"....lol
    I think it does look better in a light colored wood. I'm no finishing expert but i think a darker tone stain or gel wiped off to leave only the stain in the "pits" might look cool. Post pics when you do finish it. Good job Harry.

I tried several finish options on scrap... then I remembered Linseed Oil, a nice old fashioned hand rubbed finish.

24210.jpg

Sometimes it's the simple things. The picture is a bit darker than the real thing but it really set off the alder and give it a classic finished look. If the client likes it I think I got it licked.

Robert

Here is the actual catalog photo... sorry I had to scale it down so much to get it to post...

Design Copyright 2007 by TheLoveCross.com

25357.jpg

For a better photo visit the Gallery on the Vectric Forum http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2345 and scroll down to the 3rd post.

Robert

I just noticed it's online now at http://www.TheLoveCross.com still kind of cool to me when I see something I made on a retail site.

The Alder cross (pictured in this thread) is preordered. The guy in the Video orders them 6 at the time. The purpleheart cross is created on demand. Now that these are online he requested that I develop a couple more items.

Robert