Thread: Bevelled letter carving help!

Default Bevelled letter carving help!

Hey all.. i'm looking for some 'how to' suggestions. got a job doing a small tv station logo out of mahogany for over a door. Pretty straightforward aside from how the carving is. The current carving has a 'swept bevel' for lack of a better explanation.

Most bevels are like __/--\__
    What I need is __/--/__

It's an unusual thing, was wondering if anyone might have any tips or tricks to cut this one out?

Thanks!
    /brian

First disclaimer is, im no expert, however the first thought that came into my mind was that you can do the left hand side with a v bit then the right hand side could be cut with a dovetail bit. In terms of toolpathing and such maybe a sign guy could give better advice but it might be better to show some type of drawing.

It looks like an undercut bevel. If it's only on the interior spaces, there are a couple of options.

If I were doing it on the quick and cheap, I'd cut the shapes from both sides. Use a standard V bit to cut through the interior parts (the undercut bevels) then flip the stock over and use the same bit to cut the exterior lines and create stand alone shapes (letters?).

They could then be glued to a backer board to form the logo.

If it _must_ be done from one piece, use a standard V bit to cut the outside profiles and a straight bit to clean out the interior spaces up to the top edge. You can then use a dovetail type bit to do the undercut. You'll need to program approach and depart vectors from the interior spaces.

da