Thread: Anyone go to www.makecnc.com ?

Default Anyone go to www.makecnc.com ?

this guy posted a message here yesterday (now i can't find it, must have been deleted) anyway they made a big deal about wanting people to join and become fabbers, ect and looking at their forum they have only had about 20 posts in the last 30 days so i thought i would join....

well they rejected my my registration after posting what i thought was a neutral (not negitive) response to thier post here so I guess its "sour grapes" on my part to say this probably will fail if they reject people who want to participate and help.

It still show up for me Jack, guess he found a way to block you.
    About all I saw there was a website devoted to Sherline.

Jay

I took a look at it, too. Saw the same as Jay. There was one area about fabbers signing up, and mentioned that it would be free for early adopters. This, of course leads me to believe he will be charging for it in the future...

Ron

I saw it.
    Then they get your e-mail and then you get constant emails and flyers in the mail and phone calls asking why you didn't join.
    Yuck....
    I'm not sure that just plain old hard work and trying things the hard way simply isn't a better way. Get stuck ask questions.
    But as a political animal I'd much rather convert skeptics like Jack than people who simply sign up in an attempt to gain skills first without making plenty of hands on mistakes first.

That's ok Jack,....I still love you! ;-)

Chuck i'm not sure whether i should be insulted or flattered...lol especially about the "love" part since going to your profile and seeing your picture I think the term "Old Dinosaur" pretty well fits you....

I do still ascribe to your basic philosophy though so there might be hoipe for me yet...
    (as I told you before, you were "singin to the choir, brother")
    All kidding aside, what i was referring to was the owner of that website and forum make a long post about the advantages of signing up for his site and forum and encouraged any and all to come and join.

Then he declines my membership. Well he might have 10 or 15 members so i don't see it going anywhere fast.

OK, you two! Break it up or get a room!

I read your responses yesterday, Jack, and I had the same idea about this guy. I was going to look at it further if it came back around but I wasn't buying into pie-in-the-sky this week!

I did get a Request for Quote from the 1000 Garages site last week but the DXF file had major issues so I had to send it back for clarification (open vectors, extra lines, nesting with no space for a bit between vectors, etc.). That's the first thing I've seen since signing up over there.

Mike

Dinosaur Love?

Man, did I learn my lesson creating 3D files when the outcome is purely subjective. Or somebody else's art.
    A guy wanted me to make a desktop calender that looked sorta like an egg shape or an early iMac .
    He could only provide me with a isometric view from his artist friend.

SOB!

Then he said, "Yeah...whatever you come up with is fine with me!"
    Danger Wil Robinson, Danger!
    That's like the classic directions to an important meeting: "You can't miss it!"

I only needed three bezier curves to make the part but each curve has infinite variables. (Ashlar Vellum Cobalt) He wanted to explore each and every variable of each and every curve. My desire to please faded after a month and about 25 file exchanges and countless hours on the nebulous promise to produce a $200-$300 part.
    However, the experience was priceless!

The market sure dictates what you are worth. As long as I was working for free, I was worth every penny to my customer.
    However, after I told the customer I was unwilling to continue on this project, he then told me he was sending my files to a relative who was a CAD student who would finish the model in Solidworks. 8 months later he sent me a model and pointed out he wanted the model at the price I originally quoted.
    I looked at the file and the part was inverted....it was the negative of what he wanted.
    I said "No".
    No is a very powerful tool in business...when used timely and properly it puts money in your bank instead of you giving it away by throwing dollar bills on the ground..

I'm not sure you can learn this in class when you are a start up, hungry for work or trying to feed your family.
    By the same token, fear of taking risk means you should be working for others.

"The market sure dictates what you are worth. As long as I was working for free, I was worth every penny to my customer.

However, after I told the customer I was unwilling to continue on this project, he then told me he was sending my files to a relative who was a CAD student who would finish the model in Solidworks. 8 months later he sent me a model and pointed out he wanted the model at the price I originally quoted.
    I looked at the file and the part was inverted....it was the negative of what he wanted.
    I said "No".
    No is a very powerful tool in business...when used timely and properly it puts money in your bank instead of you giving it away by throwing dollar bills on the ground..

I'm not sure you can learn this in class when you are a start up, hungry for work or trying to feed your family.
    By the same token, fear of taking risk means you should be working for others."

Chuck
    well said, sort of like Will Rogers wisdom for the self employed!
    Carl