Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Economy priced signs

I just read an article in Scroll Saw Magazine. For oil based stains sealing with glue sizing (one part white glue to three parts warm water) will help prevent bleeding. I haven't tried this technique yet but I will.
    I've had good success by staining the wood first with a stain such as golden oak, applying three coats of water based polyurethane, carving the wood, then staining the carving with a very dark water based stain. The golden oak tends to hide the bleeding.

I'm finishing up my first cedar sign. I've definately learned a few things the hard way. When it's finished, I'll post a picture and give a few details. So far, tear-out was a problem in the cedar, as well as stopping the bleeding. I still have to tweak speed and cut depth, but after my 4th attempt it's starting to look pretty good. I'm using Rustoleum American Accents for my paint. I tried using their primer for sealing, but had so-so results. I could have tried a second coat, but instead I tried their "Top Coat" to seal the grain and painted over that. That's looking better. This time I'll let the paint dry longer before sanding, probably a day or so. Hopefully that'll keep it from gumming everything up as much.

Hey guys,

I've moved some of this information over to the wiki and have consolidated it a little. Feel free to edit away.

http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?tit...TechniquesMain

Here's my first sign. It is attached to a post that stands in front of a Mountain Ash tree the neighborhood bought for this couple. Still a few things I could have done better. I guess that'll come with experience.
    23015.jpg

If thats your first, i can't till #20. That looks great.