Thread: OT: The laser engraver equivalent of a shopbot.

Default OT: The laser engraver equivalent of a shopbot.

I teach in a small high school in Wisconsin. I have been asked to put together a list of items that would improve my curriculum. One of the items I definitely want to put on that list is a laser engraver. Do any of you know of a laser company similar to the shopbot in terms of value and support? I know I could just email a bunch of companies and they would be happy to sell me one, but I want to make sure I get a good machine, with good support at a good price.

I think Epilog builds a good laser engraver. I have also heard good things about Universal.

ernie

Hi Ryan
    I wanted a laser for years,never came up with the money. In all that time i followed users comments in forums. If i could, i would likely have gone with a Universal. They make their own laser tubes and its considerably cheaper to replace than other brands. The quality and the company seems to be upper level. Tube replacement /repair is a consumable. The most expensive and main consumable. In some brands the tube cost is staggering, which also depends on the wattage. The next most important thing is tech support and service.You need to do alot of reading in the best and most active forum i know of. Sawmill creek. heres the forum index, scroll down to lasers. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php
    The owner of the forum is a real good guy and he also has a shopbot. I would NOT recommend a chinese machine unless you are a well qualified engineer. My money would go on a Universal. Just my opinion based on years of research and observation. Others mileage may vary.

Without any doubt, Universal Laser Systems. I have one and have been very happy with it. I have two friends who had Epilog units and now have Universal units. They tell me from experience, what I felt in the pre-purchase phase looking at both Epilog and Universal. Both machines will work for you. I expect if you shop by price alone, you will go Epilog. Feel free to call or email me and I'll be happy to talk to you.

If you are not aware of them there is a company usedlasers.com. I just bought a universal 50Watt from them they are great people.