Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brush Sanding system; presentation and review

Default Brush Sanding system; presentation and review

Since this came up in a thread some weeks ago, and our new NaxoFlex brushes have arrived, I thought I'd post it as a kind of FYI for those that might be interested in looking at it.

Rather than explain how they work, I'll let some pics do the talking;

28529.jpg

Above is a 150mm/width core, with the aluminum end cap detached, showing how the flap/brush strips attach to the core. Changing out a set of strips is very easy and fast, it is done in under a minute.

28530.jpg

Another pic of this core; the point of the brushes is to support the sanding flaps which makes the unit much more effective than one with just flaps.
    Price for this unit was $185 for the core, and $65 for one complete set of strips.

28531.jpg

A unit mounted on a shaper w/ feeder. I think the pic speaks for itself so I won't elaborate.

28532.jpg

Another unit mounted on a handheld drill. This type of unit could easily be mounted on a spindle and used on the 'bot.

28533.jpg

Cores of the same diameter can be piggybacked to any desired length by detaching end caps and inserting adapters, as shown in this picture. The decorative crownpiece behind the cores was sanded using this system, resulting in a total sanding time of 3-5 minutes, including some slight manual touch up, rather than the ~hour it would have taken to manually sand off all the tool marks (0.5mm step over using a 1/8" ballpoint).

Regarding costs, cores seem to be priced at around $20-35/inch depending on width (the wider the cheaper). Strips are priced in the region of $0.5-1/inch (ditto).

To give a brief user review, I am quite pleased with an important caveat that I do not know how long the flaps will last -- they seem very high quality in the grit, but one never knows.

We are still experimenting with rotational speeds and feed speeds, but so far I am extremely statisfied with the results sanding mdf and softwoods. Especially machined mdf sands like a dream, very fast and perfect finish. Hardwoods, less so, but a coarser grit is plausibly demanded for those. Possibly a different grit medium as well, they offer several options.

The units seem well built, the finish is good, everything goes together exactly as it should without snagging or being loose, the aluminum is well machined and the vinyl (?) part of the core very neat; no gradations or residues.

In terms of operation, changing strips is a breeze. This is the main reason we chose to adopt the NaxoFlex system rather than any of the competitors I'm aware of.

Regarding possible options, all cores are built to order, so you have an enormous range of possible specs. Strips can also be custom made, for example using progressively finer grit along a strip, or using short flaps with coarse grit and long flaps with finer grit on the same strip (or alternating) so you can control finish by how much pressure you apply.

Delivery was on schedule, though due to the custom built nature of the system minimum time is three weeks (in Sweden). The company was very pleasant to deal with, they sent out a representative to demo their products extensively, offered to test sand samples, and stated that if we were not satisfied they would accept a return and credit us the cost. A nice touch was that they called when the order left their facility, and after a few days after delivery their sales rep called to ask how things were going.

We have used our starter units to sand flat surfaces, profiles and '3D' blanks. It seems to work really well for all applications, though complicated 3D blanks require manual sanding in the deepest and/or most confined areas. On one single job, sanding time (including coarse sanding, fine sanding and post-primer sanding) on flat surfaces, edges and profiles of 45 extremely large drawer fronts was reduced from the previous ~9 man-hours to ~1 man-hour: this represents a cost reduction of ~$260 just in labor costs. In other words the time/cost reduction on the first job paid for one complete unit, plus pocket change.

Summa, I'm very satisfied this far and have already started to compile our next order, which will be for a lot more strips of different grits as well as some more cores.

For those that have made it this far into the post, you might be wondering where the 'bot comes into play. Yes, this company also offers a system for use on CNC/linefeed machines with strips rotating on the "end" of a core like the above ones. That will be our next step after covering our bases on the normal cores, if that really works it would be very interesting, I think.

Finally, all of the above is specific to the products of one company, NaxoFlex, but there are several brands offered by different companies, and I have only looked at the European market.

Thanks very much Henrik,

I have a flapwheel which is much smaller and narrower. It comes in handy although it too small. This is a real find. I have a couple of 3D columns where I could sure use one of these.

Thanks again.

Wow, Henrik, that is an eye-opener. Excellent pictures and explanation. Definitely something to consider.

Thanks for taking the time to make that post.

Henrik, I went to the NaxoFlex website you entered above and can not find any information on the Flapwheel. Do you have a specific link for the core and the strips?

Joe,

quote:I have a flapwheel which is much smaller and narrower. It comes in handy although it too small.
    Yeah, we've tried a whole range of products: rigid cylinders, inflatable cylinders, non-backed flapwheels (i.e just flaps with no brushes backing them). They're usually tested, used for a job or two, then ends up on a shelf.

quote:This is a real find. I have a couple of 3D columns where I could sure use one of these.
    As I said, we're very pleased this far. There is certainly an amount of technique/skill involved when freehanding 3D work, but with just a little use it just feels right. It's hard to explain, but there's a kind of feedback in using this that once you learn the basics you can 'feel' what you are doing, unlike any other system we have tried.

I'm just starting out, but even with this limited experience I'm nuts over how good it is for sanding off toolmarks in 3D ballpoint machined MDF. I was really worried it would be very aggressive on edges, causing loss of definition in delicate carvings, while not doing much for the toolmarks -- this has been the case with the other mechanical tools I've tried. Yes, you absolutely must learn the tool and how it works, but my first real try after some testing was an amazing success. All those pesky toolmarks, the little lines spaced 0.3-0.5mm apart, most of them gone in a couple of minutes (in deep crevices or confined areas, manual sanding is required, of course).

Maybe I just hit a lucky streak, but I'm very optimistic.

David,

quote:Wow, Henrik, that is an eye-opener.
    It sure is! We had some old brushes from a now defunct manufacturer, all worn out, but I've been thinking about going this route for quite some time now. Initially, I was going to go with Edruflx, but I was turned off by their business model as well as some technical characteristics, and when NaxoFlex showed up I was sold pretty much on the spot. The system makes sense, it's simple but very flexible, good price and they were super to deal with -- I mean, they deliver solutions for many major brands, such as Swedwood (holding company for all/most of IKEA's manufacturing division), but they still cared about me as a really minor customer. A real class act, which I think is important for us small guys.

I had a good feeling about this, but I also know I've had good feelings about machines/products before and it turned sour in the end. People and companies may be great, but if the product doesn't perform, well... what good is it?

So far, the actual performance of the product has been above ok, it's been great, but I will hesitate to go entirely gospel on it until I learn for how long the flaps last.

Dave,

I've talked to them on the phone and they will have a product brochure (in English) ready soon.

They do sell a lot to the US, they've been exhibiting at the IWF I think, but as I understood it mostly to large ventures.

They said they were going to have to look at whether they could expedite small orders through a US intermediary or if they can do it directly.

Also, I thought I'd add to the opening post some pics displaying results, since that's what matters in the end.

The following pictures exhibit drawer fronts machined on the 'bot (plus a router table rounding of the inside edges), the unsanded piece below and the sanded piece on top.

28603.jpg
    Above, a light sanding using 180 grit; it effectively removes the sharpness of the router cuts and 'beards', without compromising the clean lines required.

28604.jpg
    Again, 180 grit, displaying the slight rounding of the sharp profiles but a slight 'fuzz' still apparent on the end of the sanded piece.

28605.jpg

Now with 150 grit: the sanded piece is absolutely clean for priming and will go straight to the paint booth, notice how the definition of the profile has not changed appreciably.

28606.jpg
    This is how it was done: mount in drill press with improvised dust hood, insert and let work for a couple of seconds, turn around, let work for a second, and so on. RPM ~800.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Henrik,
    What is the center bore size for the shaft that the unit fits on , and when you have to replace the sandpaper do you have to replace the brushes also , are they made together? Thanks for the post and info . it got the little wheels in my head turning . I wonder how hard it would be to build a small conveyor system and have a few different grit wheels so you could put a course first , med second , and a fine last. would be good for doors and drawer fronts

I have been using this head for about 10 years and it works great. The brushes and Sandpaper are two separate item and can be changed independently.
    http://www.sand-rite.com/b-12.html

Here is a little larger unit
    http://www.sand-rite.com/flexsander_600.html

Here is another option
    http://www.supermaxtools.com/product...s-24-36-49.php