Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yup, there's even an App for that!

Default Yup, there's even an App for that!

ShopBot Remote is now available in the iTunes store for only $2.99. Go to the App Store in iTunes and search for "ShopBot Remote".

If you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you can now use it as a remote pendant to move/jog your ShopBot along with zeroing the the X and Y axis, zeroing the Z axis, homing the machine, and to jog home.

It works by way of WiFi with your wireless network.

Requirements are... An iPhone or iPod Touch, A Shopbot running SB3, a wireless network (a wireless router preferably dedicated to the control computer with no internet access), and WinRemote server running on the control computer (http://iphone.logiqu.com/ShopBotRemote/).

I know that the use of a wireless network may concern some, but I've been using one for years on my control computer with no problems (except for Windows file sharing permissions). The small WinRemote program runs in the background and passes keyboard commands from the iPhone/iPod Touch to SB3.

There are three buttons across the top for zeroing routines. They correspond to C1, C2, and C3 from left to right. C2 and C3 are the default Z zero routine and homing routine as installed by SB3. The Zero X-Y button uses C1 which is a default of the SB Logo so what ever you have in the C1 slot is what will be run. I use it with an X-Y zeroing plate and the appropriate custom cut file so that's why it's labeled "Zero X-Y". You can make up a plate like mine as seen in the video here (or some other design), and set up the appropriate custom cut file, or you should be able to use it with Morris Dovey's super zero fixture.

Along with the other buttons (Stop, Tab and Enter), you can access some other functions as well.

I know that a shop environment isn't the place you want an expensive iPhone or iPod touch laying around, but I was able to get a refurbished grade A 8GB 2nd generation iPod Touch on EBay from shipfastelectronics for $172 (keeping my 32GB one out of harms way). Some can be had for less. I have a $35 dollar Dynex wireless router from BestBuy that is used only for the remote without an internet connection.

My time spent on the concept and graphics for the App is free to the SB community. The $2.99 goes to Jens Henneberg for his programming skills and getting it up on the iTunes store (thank you Jens!).

If you meet the requirements already or want to, give it a try. It's pretty cool to use!

Scott

42141.jpg

fo shizel!

Tom Blue Furniture Inc., Owensboro Kentucky

This is great just got it. Love it already.

They need to remake the iphone commercial to show it operating a shopbot. cool

The screenshot shown above should be in the next update. Check your apps occasionally for any updates.

I ran, not walked to my shop computer and loaded this up. works like a charm. darn it man how much do i have to show off my geekiness at work.
    fantastic.

For me, machines are a means to an end. There are well built ones like Shopbots and there are far more that are not. Therefore, although I find Apple rather !#$%& many times, they still pretty much live up to their slogan "they just work." While their hardware is rated better than nearly everything else, it's their tightly integrated, highly dependable and user friendly software that really sets them apart. The day that someone produces a lathe, mill, router or any kind of widget that I need that runs on Mac OS, I'll be in line grumbling about their arrogance and greed but still pay extra for it. Why, because it just works. That's not just dumb partisanship, it's about value as I see it anyway so a big thanks to Scott for getting my hopes up.

that's just way too cool. I have the iphone but no wireless in my shop.
    man there goes more money out of my pocket (G)

I would not worry much about the dust. I have had several ipods and now my iphone in the shop and no problems. I have had problems with all my other cell phones and music players though. this was one reason I went with a iphone. Plus I listen to audio books and the phone rings through the earbuds so I now never miss a call with all of the noise going on.

Fantastic!
    I hope to be getting an iPhone next month.
    I'll definately be spending the $2.99 for that app.

Thanks for telling us about it.

Scott