Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

So I picked up my bot yesterday and had enough time last night to get the table square and level. Hope to do the rest tonight. This thing is built like a tank.... So should be up and running soon. Im working on the vac table as well. Where is the best place to find a Fein? Would rather not go with ebay.

Woodcraft is offering $25 gift cards w/ purchase of a Fein vac

Brian,

Since I'm to get a PRS delivered sometime in June, it would be interesting to hear your comments and observations on the process you're in right now.

Hey Brian,

I'm getting my prs in June also and am interested in how it goes. Is this your first CNC machine? It'll be my fourth in four years! lol

The Fein is a very nice and quiet vacuum. Are you going to use it for hold-down or for sucking away the chips? For hold-down, I've been using a louder than a jet engine Rigid from the Home Despot for the past 4 years for holding down sheet goods and I've never had a problem except for getting used to wearing shooters ear muffs. The price is right on them and they seem to last.

If you need a vacuum hold-down, I am selling a 25hp Reitschle Thomas on ebay right now. It pulls 24"Hg and does 330 cfm. It's just too big for me electrically. I've never hooked it up.

hey Brian, congrats on your new toy. My question to you is how did you convince your wife you should get it? That's my biggest obstacle.

Chris

I bought 2 feins off of Amazon.com and got a 10% (I think) discount, plus $50.00 off (coupon) plus free shipping. So check them out, I might have hit it just right with timimg but its worth comparing. They have weekly specials (geared to your interests) so sign up and check it out. They also have obscure product discount codes you have to look for and rebates which further lower prices.

Well Chris... It was simple..... I never got married....lol

Well here goes...
    DAY 1... Drove to Shopbot and picked up our 60"x96" PRS. Made the drive home and started to work. Had just enough time to build and level the table.

DAY 2... After a full day in the shop I finally get to the Bot. Had enough time to install the x rails, the gantry, a start pulling the wiring.

One more day to finish the wiring and I will be ready to tie the power in. This thing is fun to assemble. So you guys who are staring at the calender...you are in for a treat. Very easy to put together. Just follow the directions. Ill give more updates on how the rest works out.

Brian

Brian, Welcome to the wild world of Botting!

Wes, Glad to see you are back. Maybe I will call and drop by on my next trip to Atlanta so I can see a fast machine run.

Chris, Is your wife interested in computers at all? Mine does alot of the design work for me. When I went for the demo mine went with me. I was not sold on the Shopbot, but the wife started talking to the person doing the demo about different programs he used for design. We got in the truck and SHE told me to call and get a quote. I have a great wife, she would rather poke around in Lowe's or a hardware store than go to the mall.

James

" I have a great wife, she would rather poke around in Lowe's or a hardware store than go to the mall."
    James- Does she got a sister? lol

Well Ive got all the wiring tucked away and built a cab to hold the control box. Now I am moving on to the table. Have my TruePan to be delivered today and the MDF for the base and plenum. What do you guys recomend for coating and sealing it. Polyurathane?... by the way I am the world worst speller....lol