Thread: Multi-paned lithopane?

Default Multi-paned lithopane?

Since my first attempt at the statue litho sucked for the reasons i stated and your input told me, I thought of this. For example could i take the 2 pictures here and with 2 seperate pieces of corian (approx. 12"x12") take the top and bottom picture and make seperate cutting files out of the 2 pictures but make them match up to make one continuous litho that would be 2' tall? I could have the details closer to frame and get a good size from both pics for detail. How could i make the file to seamlessly go from one pane to the next? (images resized and cropped to fit in forum) I went and took these pics, I have to get a good digital camera with better resolution.

16100.jpg

16101.jpg

Jack: With software such as Adobe Elements you can merge consecutive photos. The software that comes for many digital cameras can also do this but usually has more limited editing abilities. When you take the shots it helps to have your camera in one location and swivel it axially without changing distance from your object. With a higher resolution shot you can also back up enough to get in the whole object and then crop out what you don't like. The best shots come out when you do not use digital zoom, but rely on true lens zooming.
    Then you can cut it in one piece of corian 12 x 24.

I would add to Dave's post that if you do have to pan or tilt the camera that you should use a tripod.

Yes, all that is good advice. The pics i took were for reference, it was late in the day and sun setting hence the shadows. I would retake them when sun in better position. I do have an idea that I would want to "cheat" the image somewhat by getting a little more side angle on the statue to show details because the front view of the figures on the base only show the head popping over the horse and i think i can cheat it at the base of the statue. I will check into joining the 2 pics. The reason i wanted to make them seperate files is because my stock of corian is already cut pieces of 12"x13". Thanks for the info.

Put two pieces of Corian together for your job; with silicone for temporary bond, with epoxy for permanent.

I guess i might go try this but i thought i would ask first..The pieces i have don't butt up well due to uneven cut edges, can i run corian thru my jointer to even up the edges?

Use your bot for this-Solid Surface and Steel jointer blades don't get along very well. For all corian type material only solid carbide is reccomended. Belt sander will do the trick too, but it's a lot easier to square your pieces on the bot.