Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could use some help designing and deciding on making these boxes.

Default I could use some help designing and deciding on making these boxes.

Got a call today from this fellow that needs 200 boxes made. They are 5.15x7.5” and 1” deep. Not sure if I could do them out of nice ply or not. But if solid wood how practical to cut them out on the cnc? They have a simple sliding top. Looks like the decoration would be done by someone else with a laser.
    Since they want them done by the second week of January it is not much time.
    Myself the fastest way would be to use a solid block and hollow it out. This would be pretty fast making the slot for the lid would need a t cutter.
    If I have to glue them up from pieces I don’t know if I could do such a large quality. Or if it all would be done off my cnc. Any idea’s?

Steve,

If anyone can, I know you'll provide them a good looking product.

I've been eyeing the same kind of product using HDO. This is an exterior plywood with laminations much like Baltic Birch, except it has a smooth dark brown laminated surface. Aside from being very affordable, it looks furniture grade to me.

I'd consider a profice cut for the interiors using some kind of strait bit and use a V bit for the exteriors. That would emphacise the laminations.

Good luck with this project.

Steve,

I make hundreds of solid wood boxes throughout the year that are close to that size. I use a 1.25" or 0.75" bowl cutter for the inside pocket. If I had to make a sliding cover, I'd either use a dovetail or as you mentioned, a T-slot of some sort. The ones that I make use two slabs of 0.75" hardwood (mostly walnut) and then a kerf cut hinge is used. A jig setup that will hold several blanks at a time works well for quantities.

Sometimes you can get a slight cupping after hogging out the inside and I have to lap them on a flat sanding board then. That's the "pain-in-the-butt" part.

I'd be concerned about the strength of the lip left for the sliding cover if made from plywood, it could snap off easy. Any internal voids/knots would be unsightly also.

Hey, at least they didn't say they wanted them by Christmas!
    26336.gif

Scott

I would need a straight bit as these boxes hold pictures. but I just got done hollowing 100 boxes for ipod docs so that part is simple.
    yes I had thought of warpaage. I will use European beech it is pretty stable and dirt cheap.
    glad I am very good with a big belt sander (G)
    I am wondering if it would be easier to cut the dovetail or the t on the router table. I could use a bearing guided dovetail bit.

Steve
    I use both. The T-slot is more forgiving. The Dove-tail gets a little sloppy if the lid isn't exactly right.
    I make a pocket with an end-mill bit, then use a T-slot and go around the edges. Same with the Dove-tail bit.
    I make the pocket and the T-slot or Dove-tail edges on the ShopBot. I make the T-Slot lids on the ShopBot but I make the dove-tailed lids on the router table.
    My problem is the lids are only 2.5in wide and there is enough movement (no vac) that I lose the accuracy on the SB with the Dovetail.
    Like the V cut of the Dovetail but the T-slot is more accurate in regards to the lid fit.
    Butch

looks like it will be plywood lids. but I may be v carving them. not sure how many I can do in one go. getting the wood flat enough is the key. so I am debating on using a vacuum to hold them or mechanical to hold them. to do 5 at a time I have to have a flat 40" piece of solid wood.
    I think two passes will be fine the first will make the lip and the second will do the bulk removing. since the like will be right at the lip it won't be an issue. the inside does not need finished so that will save some work.
    I think doing the lip on the router table will save time since I can do it while boxes are getting cut. plus it may be faster too since it only take 20 or 30 seconds per box.

Scott,

Do you have a website showing some of your boxes?

J.

here is the sample box. needs a bit of tweaking the back needs to be a bit shorter. I did not not have a slotting bit on hand but I wanted to see what it looks like. it will have a logo on the lid. the lid will be beech plywood.
    they want 200 of these and I quoted 18.00 each including materials. not a super good hourly rate (about 41.00 a hour) but right now it would be welcome.
    talked them into a wipe on finish to keep the cost down.

here is the sample box. needs a bit of tweaking the back needs to be a bit shorter. I did not not have a slotting bit on hand but I wanted to see what it looks like. it will have a logo on the lid. the lid will be beech plywood.
    they want 200 of these and I quoted 18.00 each including materials. not a super good hourly rate (about 41.00 a hour) but right now it would be welcome.
    talked them into a wipe on finish to keep the cost down.
    26351.jpg

26352.jpg

Steve have you thought of using a bowl and tray bit for the inside?
    http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=s...p&theID=13