Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All=purpose software

LM Custom Woodcrafts, Cortlandt Manor New York

Default All=purpose software

Most of the things I carve usually include either raised or vcarve text along with graphics, like patterns from Vector Art3d. Any recommendations on which program is best all-around for this? I know VCarve is good for text, Artcam for reliefs, etc, any good for both at same time? Basically, insert text, position it, insert pattern, position, set depth or height. The Designer program from Carvewright(although propietary)was good for that purpose, looking for something similar. Any info appreciated.

VCarve Pro & Cut3D will do what you want. ArtCAM will do anything you could want with a lot more control, plus create 3D from scratch or a pic like the CarveWright software.

-B

What file conversions are needed using Artcam to SB2? Part Wizard isn't an option available. After creating model in Artcam, save it as what type file for use with SB2? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Artcam as well as other software packages have post processors that convert the files into SBP files.

Damn.......been staring at this computer screen way too long today, missed the save toolpath screen. Another question though - which type sbp file? They list quite a few. Thanks

Lou,
    What version of ArtCAM are you running? Some of the newer versions offer additional post options.

-B

Unless I'm just not getting it(very likely) - VCarve doesn't do 3D graphics, Cut3d doesn't do text. Part Wizard doesn't do 3D. Artcam is way too much more than needed. What else is there? I'm sure Artcam can do it all, just a lot to figure out. All I want is to place 3D graphic with either raised or carved text on same piece of wood, and be able to move, size,etc those items. Ability to import grayscale bmp a bonus. Meshcam kinda ok, too new, I think. Any thoughts?
    Newbies to Shopbotting are a real PITA, huh?

Lou, First off to clarify - if you want to take existing 3D models like our Vector Art 3D clipart and then add text etc. the Vectric products will allow you to do that (as I will explain below). if you want to create your own original 3D parts from 2D artwork then you need a program like ArtCAM Pro (or one of the many others you will find info on this forum about).

To take 3D artwork and then add the 2D or V-carved elements with Vectric software you can do the following:

Size the object, position it and create toolpaths in Cut3D. Save the whole part (File, Save As...) Now open Vcarve Pro and set up a blank part to work in. You can now import the file you saved from Cut3D (or VA3D Machinist - FYI) into VCP. It will be displayed as a preview which you can move around the 2D work area. Now you can add or import your 2D data and create the VCP toolpaths on it. Once they are done you can preview the whole design (2D and 3D) as a toolpath simulation. Once happy you can output all toolpaths for your Bot as an SBP file.

Hope this helps and does not add to the confusion

Cheers,
    James

Tried the VA3D Machinist route, problem saving toolpath.How do I save it so I can open it in VCarve(trial version)?

Let me rephrase that - In Cut3D, I can only save as .v3d and VCP is won't open that ext file. Is that a trial version limitation?