Thread: Hold down for delicate object

Default Hold down for delicate object

I want to cut out a 16" round inset for a table.It will be .25 thick with the design cut through.It will be fairly delicate when finished.
    Whats the best way to hold this to the table.
    I've though of two sided tape but am afraid that I would break the inset trying to get the tape off.
    The surface area is too small for a vacuum jig.
    Would glueing it to a sacrificial board with a sheet of newspaper in between work?
    Any Ideas.

Brian
    Any ideas?

Brian

I suggest a dedicated vacuum pallet - incorporating the cut-through design areas in the pallet - I think it would be easy to make and would not take too much vacuum to hold it down. That's what I would do.

WidgetWorks Unlimited LLC., Chappaqua New York

It may help to use 2 hold down strategies at the same time...

If you machine with an onion skin and then cut through this as your final op, you can clamp/screw/brad nail the piece to the table to hold against lateral movement. You can then us a weak double-sided tape to hold the material flat against your spoilboard. (The tape meant for office/paper use might be just right. It's easy to get off.)

I've also found that 1/16" bits are great for thin/small parts with delicate hold down scenarios. I guess it's like using a scalpel vs an axe. The thin bits cut without creating a lot of side load or lift to fight your hold down.

The final cut will be with a .06 bit.
    I'm using a native western cherry.I've never used it before,it is hard but not as hard as the eastern varity.
    Thanks for the info

Brian

Brian, I use spray on adhesive, either 3M 77 or Elmer's Craft Bond. Be sure to apply to both surfaces. When I am done I use lacquer thinner or enamel reducer to dissolve the adhesive. When it is dissolved, you can pick the part up.

If this is a single project and it is circular, I would divide my sbf into 2 where the movement on the left side and hold on the right and then attach left side and remove right side holding and finish.

If this is production, then I would make a vacuum puck which is the opposite of the cutout so it is holding where there is material.

I tend to use a piece of plywood (3/8 strip) that would go across the piece and on the ends of the plywood, have sheet metal screws to hold down...