Thread: Power Problem

Default Power Problem

I have a buddy 32 standard. When I went to turn it on this morning, there was a problem. The drives locked up but the prox leds did not light up and the control software would not find the buddy. On closer examination, the fan on the power supply is not working so I am assuming that it has gone out. How can I check this? The power coming off the transformer is right so I am guessing that the transformer supplies the drives and the power supply just provides power to the control board - is this right? If the power supply is out, can it be replaced with any good computer power supply? Thanks for your help!

Philip Sheridan

Phillip,
    Pull the 4-prong Molex connector from the main control board and test voltage with a meter. You should have 5v & 12v at that connector when the control box is powered on. If not, you can replace the power supply with any decent ATX supply, but you'll have to jump 2 terminals on the ATX plug (the one that has like 16 pins on it) - in order for the PS to turn on. After you remove the original PS, inspect the large connector and look for a jumper/wire.

-B

Thanks Brady - It does look like the power supply went out. The buddy is a little less than a year old so I'm a bit surprised (but it is just a simple ATX supply). One the main ATX plug - I don't see any jumpers, but three wires are cut and wired to the fan on the back of the case. So I'll just go pick up a new one and wire it up the same way. Thanks!

Phil

Hi Philip,

If you got your Buddy from ShopBot you should have a two year warrenty on it and I would call ShopBot and ask them to send you a new power supply if your Buddy is less than a year old.

Phillip, that's a yes on the two year warranty. Call us on Monday and we'll work on getting you a new PS.

However, the plugs on the pigtail in the back can occasionally be an issue. It's worth just wiggling that around to see if you can get the fan (and LEDs) to start.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools