Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy x y orientation

Three Sisters Woodshop, Fort Washington PA

Default Buddy x y orientation

Hello all, first post, simple question needs clearing up. Got a BT32 coming shortly. In an email from SB I was told that the footprint of my BT32 was 38 x 56 and that the longer 56 inches was the X axis. However, just looking at pictures of the buddy, assuming the X axis is the moving table, seems like that information is wrong. Seems as though the Y axis orientation is the longer 56 inch part of the footprint, and the X axis is the 38 inch part of the footprint. Can somebody clear this up for me?

Hello; The BT32 the 38" footprint is the X axis & the 56" is the Y axis. I've had mine about 3 weeks now & very happy with it Bob
    29261.jpg

Thanks for confirming that Bob. Although I could have fit the bot either way, it will be easier to work with if the Y is the longer (wider) part of the footprint as I suspected. Your shop looks about as crowded as mine will be when I finally get to shoehorn my bot in place.

GC Carpentry & Custom Woodworking, Peabody MA

David, I also just got my BT32 about the same time as Bob's. As you look at the photo Bob posted, the 0,0 coordinates are at the right/front of the table. Make sure you leave enough space in the rear to access the thumb screw to adjust the height of the dust boot. If you got a spindle like I did, don't mount it on the control box as is shown in some of the SB photos. You will be bending over all day to adjust the rpm's on the panel. Mount it somewhere near your work station within easy reach.

George, I got the alpha, but could not afford nor justify both the extra alpha cost AND extra spindle cost until I go full time. I plan to upgrade to spindle in a few years as my woodshop business continues to ramp up to when I retire and can do it full time. Thanks for the tips... from what I am gleaning and reading on the SB site, none of this is rocket science, but there does seem to be a lot of little things that can temporarily trip you up. One of the reasons I went with SB is this forum as well as their after sale support.

Hey guys,

This might help get you oriented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCG9GOJWT2I

Bill

I am a prt benchtop owner and there seems to be something astray here. In the direction that the worktable moves (on mine that is Y) the minimum footprint has to be (for a 32 x 24 work area) 24 x 2 = 48 inch. For movement along the gantry (on mine that is X) the minimum footprint has to be 32 + length of carriage (looks like 12 - 15) + end constructions (must be 4+) = 48+ inches. Are you sure it is not 48 x 56?
    If I am wrong let me know NOW and I will get one, as shopbot appear to have worked miricoli.

R.

PS: I have my axes in this direction because it matches the axes on my computer screen in cad and cam when I look at my machine.

Hey Ralph,

I believe they're referring to the storage footprint and not the working area that covers the full movement of the table.

Bill

Ok Bill.
    Does anyone know of a PRS in UK? (Now or shortly). I would love to see one, especially a benchtop.

R.

Thanks Bill, that video is actually what prompted me to start this post and ask. When I originally contacted SB to see if a BT32 would even fit in my shop, Dianne (sales?) in an email to me had written this:

"Actually the X is the 56" inches and this is the full table movement, front to back."

I planned my shop layout accordingly until I saw that video you just posted which contradicted her email. Minor mistake on her part but it had major ramifications when it came to planning how it would fit in my shop. Thus my query. Thanks for making it clear.