Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed & Feed on Cherry

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

Default Speed & Feed on Cherry

Im using the Whiteside solid carbide bits they make for cutting raised panel doors, im using slabs of cherry i glued up,,,the doors are really great,,,the bits cut fine,,,but im experiencing sum burning in the wood in differant areas of the cuts,,,can anyone suggest a good speed/feed rate for this wood.

rgbrown@itexas.net Guest

Frank,

I can not and will not attempt to diagnose yout problem without more information. But, burning is normally the result of one, or both, of two problems. One is insufficient feed speed. The other is a dull bit.

I'd bet your bit company can offer more help than anyone here.

Ron

Burn marks are mostly caused when the tip of the cutter rubs on the surface of the wood instead of digging under it.

If the feed is too slow, a cutter tip approaches the wood and decides for itself: "Nah, there is not enough wood here to cut away, I'll leave it for the next tip that comes along" Thus, only every second or third tip approach actually cuts while the rest rub.

Blunt tips have a much bigger attitude problem.

And then you could try to change your feed direction on the finish cut. (climb vs conventional milling)

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

Im very new to all this , but am learning fast, i had an idea the feed wasnt fast enuf, the bit are brand new, so i wouldnt think they are dull yet, Ron, what other info u need. My bit company is just that "a bit company", i tried them first, but got just a bunch of opinions, here is where the truth can be found, in all you guys experiences all the help us shopbotters need is right here, thanks guys, going to cut more cherry doors and see what happens.

rgbrown@itexas.net Guest

"the bit are brand new, so i wouldnt think they are dull yet".....My bit company is just that "a bit company"

Frank,

Those quotes may be your problem... They may not be the problem. It is hard to tell from this keyboard.

My personal tries would be more feed-rate and climb cut. Many times I will do a "hogging cut" and then a light cut to finnish the part. A lot of this is trial and error, and more error.

Ron

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

Sorry Ron, nothing really sarcastic meant, seems they just want to sell you bits, we are in the process as i type this of using ur suggestions on the cuts, or as you said "trial and error, and yes more error", this is the fun of Shopbotting Frank

valensign Guest

Frank. Is it possible thet the burn marks are from when the shopbot stalls at a point.. I get that every once in awhile. Its like the bot stops for a sec and it needs to think what to do next. I dont know if its a flaw in the program or the computer is catching up or somesthing.

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

Well fellas, through trial and error and playing with you guys suggestions, the problem has vanished, seems speeding the feed up did the trick, running it 1.50 to 1.75 ips, now we have sum very nice cherry doors. William, it will leave a minor burn if it stalls, but seems we dont have that either. Now i will attack these oak and maple slabs i got glued up,,,thanks fellas,,frank

William, the "stalling" you're experiencing is usually when the cutting file is running from a removeable disc. The program stack hundreds to thousands of lines of code then executes the moves. It then has to stack more lines of code, etc. If you transfer the file to the hard drive it can load them so fast you really never notice the proccess. I do that if I'm cutting something that will burn ( or melt ) when it stalls.

valensign Guest

It is running from the Hard drive most of my cutting files average from 3 to 30 megs. I think it might be from using an older computer or a glitch in Windows ME.(Massive Errors)I ment to load 98 on that machine so I could boot into DOS and keep my network Just to lazy to reload its just an old amd 400 . All my computers are networked so I dont have to waste time transfering to disk.