Thread: Do you feel lucky today?

Default Do you feel lucky today?

So I'm gettting ready to machine this project, and let me tell you I am nervous. Here is a workpiece that I have invested tens of hours into, it's three pieces ganged together with matching veneer running across all three, which also matches the veneer on the other 3 pieces (to be machined next). I've never run this toolpath before as I've never made this project before. So many things that can go wrong, any one of which will ruin the workpiece. There's no time to re-make the piece and still make the deadline. The pieces were far too time consuming to fabricate to warrant making any extra "just in case". I wasn't this nervous on my wedding day (at least then I had a reasonable expectation that everything would work out, and if not I'd have plenty of time to sort out the pieces later).

I spent close to 5 hours writing the toolpath, testing each section on scraps for feedrate, machining strategies, dust shoe clearance, etc. and in the end I could barely bring myself to push the button to start the file.

So my question is: has anyone else had the jitters, where the confidence level is not as high as the value of the workpiece? I've worked on expensive materials before, but I guess this is the first time there was a significant chance that if something went wrong, I would not be able to fix it or replace it in time. I remember way back when, just starting out woodworking, it would take me an hour to cut the first board - I was so unsure about what I was doing. Now I don't think twice when cutting out expensive material on the saw. I suppose this will be the same.

Much to my relief, my preparations paid off and the machining was a success.

10803.jpg

10804.jpg

10805.jpg

David

Congratulations.....They look great.

It's one of those jobs that has so many processes that a mistake in any one will turn it into firewood. The finished cabinets will look stunning I am sure

I have had a few difficult jobs like that...they all seemed to have a pressing deadline.
    We were installing some furniture at a theatre in London, as we were leaving the back door the people were arriving for a Premiere at the front...very close.

Regards

Paul

ThingsWood, 105 Keystone Court, Thunder Bay Ontario, P7C 2E6

David, you just joined the club.

Yes, I am sure many of us have, and still do, go through the experience you have just had.

I have had a few of those days!

Now when I have the real jitters I throw in a piece of foam as a trial run. The Bot has performed flawlessly, it is the human error factor I like to dispel.

Congratulations on a beautiful looking job, well done.

What a great feeling of relief when the machine makes that last jog home!

Seasons Greetings
    Jay Pollard

Nice parts David!

I'd bet you've learn a lot from this... right?!

David: Looks great. I'm very happy it turned out well. As far as jitters go, I've assumed for a long time that it is a normal way of existence as part of the price for striving to handle the challenges of unique work with quality product. The payoff is in the satisfaction you are now feeling and the grey hair yet to come (for you anyway-Think about Bill P and I; what little left we have!!)

Dave

ah, sweet success...two weeks and 100 hours later; paid in full.

10813.jpg

10814.jpg

Mobius Megatar Touch-Style Basses, Mount Shasta CA

Hello, David,

Nice work.

I'm curious. You have a simple-looking clamping system, using what appear to be Bessey clamps. This would probably work for some pieces upcoming for me, so may I ask --

1) How do you have the Bessey clamp attached to the table?

2) Is the far Bessey also attached to the table? If so, how?

Arthur,

The picture is a little deceiving. The parts are actually held down by my vacuum system (photos here) which uses two Fein vacuums. The Bessy clamps were used to ensure proper alignment and to hold the three sections tightly to each other so as minimize tear out on the ends of the sections where the long recess spanned all three sections. I also felt that securing the three sections together would essentially mean three times the vacuum holding power.

However, I see no reason why you couldn't use the Bessy clamps, using an additional clamp at each end of each Bessy clamp to secure the whole thing to the table. The downsides I see are two fold: only 3 of the 4 corners are near the edge of the table, requiring a hole in the spoilboard or another method of holding down the 4th corner, and the smooth plastic faces of the Bessey clamps might limit how aggresive you can be with your cutting before the part starts to vibrate loose or move.

Here's a photo the client sent me after he got done with it.

10863.jpg