Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of getting a shopbot into Canada

Default Cost of getting a shopbot into Canada

does anyone have any recent experience of getting a shopbot across the border, what duties and taxes have to be paid,or anyother costs. thanks

Not sure about the North but here in Mexico I pay 25% over invoice cost to have tools/parts ect. delivered to our shop door...so if I ordered a PRS (I wish...) it would be around...$3250 EXTRA...

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. I live on a town close to Belleville Ontario called Campbellford. I have a PRS Standard and getting a shopbot to Canada is a piece of cake. You do not have to pay any duty as shopbot is built in USA and shopbot will fill out proper forms. I used a broker to clear customs which cost me less than $200 and the only tax was GST on the cost of the machine. The broker did all the paperwork and dealt with border issues for me. Worth the money. If you are close and want to come see mine you are welcome anytime. I bought mine in Sept. 2007.
    You can also contact me anytime as well. My email is in my profile. Buy one you will love it.

Mike,
    I just got a Buddy 48 this past fall and like Glen said all you really have to pay is the GST. If you choose not to use a broker all you have to do is get the paperwork from the shipping company and take it to customs (in Edmonton it was at the airport), there they will make you pay your GST. It was really easy and will save you some money. This is a good time to buy one with the strong dollar and plus these machines are awsome!

Wow Gene!!

That is expensive.
    Too bad that tax doesn't work the other way around.

when I got mine last year .. the taxes were just over $1900 canadian .. that was paid at customs in st catharines... that was both provincial and gst.. why did you guys not have to pay the provincial tax.. something is wrong if I had to .. might be able to get it back...
    Glen where bouts in cambellford are you .. I am up there a number of times in the summer.. a cottage down at lock 8..

mitch

Mike, not sure who shopbot ships by now but in 2007 they used a company called Roadway. Roadway is able to do the brokerage and paperwork for you and it can make a streamlined process. I used a broker so I could get the shop ready and was already too busy to take the time to deal with customs. You can do it yourself if you want to and have the time. Ask Dianne at shopbot who they will be shipping by and contact them for quote to handle brokerage. Call one and ask to clarify the PST thing. I can give you the name of the one I used off the forum if you email me. No charge to call and ask them questions. Tyler is right about the dollar and good time to buy.

Mitch not sure if you can get your money back now worth a try. My machine was purchased for my business and perhaps that makes a difference as I am exempt from PST on machinery. The broker did ask for my GST number. Contact me when you are up sometime we can see face to face and yak.

I bought my PRT used in the USA and brought it back myself with a flatbed trailer. Paid GST and PST at the boarder.

Mitch, I'm not far from you at all. In Fenwick.

Mike
    I bought a used (new in the box) bot 4 yrs ago and saved a bundle on taxes and overall cost.
    I was lucky that someone bought two bots and wound up only needing one.I saved enough that the 5hp spindle was free.
    They do hit Ya hard at the border.I thought free trade was good for anything that could not be purchased in your own country,guess I was wrong!

Brian

$$$$$, the Giant Sucking Sound of NAFTA.

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com