Thread: DUST COLLECTOR HELP

Default DUST COLLECTOR HELP

Hi, We just ordered a benchtop model and are planning on using it in an unfinished section of our basement. I would like to get some suggestions on a dust collector. Any help on what and where to buy would be appreciated. Thanks Doug

Doug..
    Make sure that you do your homework on the duct collector that you purchase. I am assuming that the basement you speak of is in your home. Many dust collectors allow the very fine particles to pass thru them. As these particles can cause serious damage to you, and possibly yours, you should either vent to the outside or have extremely good filtration. There have been some other posts here on the forum that have discussed this, and there are many good online sources.
    Gary

Personally. I suggest starting with the $190 harbor freight model then ASAP move up to transforming it or another into a "cyclone" model.

Most dusts arent harmful themselves but MDF for example the dust is toooo fine for your body to absorb and will kill you in the end.

The cyclone type dust collectors work like a dyson and uses centrifical force to suck all the dust away from friable matter " stuff you breathe in the shop"

Do a Google search for Bill Pentz. This guy has a lot of information about cyclones on his site.

I bought a Clear Vue cyclone and am very happy with it.

All dust is a major health issue. I will not use any cloth bag system.

Vent outside or cyclone.

My opinion of course.

Hey Danny,

James Dyson based his vacuum cleaner design on the extraction system in a wood yard...He climbed over the fence late one night and measured their cyclone.

The rest is history.... He is now worth $2 billion.

Regards

Paul

Danny....
    Believing that "Most dusts arent harmful themselves" is DEAD WRONG!!!!! They may be non toxic to some, a respiratory irritant to others, but filling your lungs with any fine dust will just plain kill ya!
    Gary

Thanks for the info on dust collectors. I think I will be mounting the dust collector outside of the basement so it will not be blowing dust out of it or disturbing the air inside the room. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Doug,

I did the same thing - mounted my dust collector outside my shop in a well vented closet. I'm glad I did. Just keep your run as short as possible.

Also be sure to read up on the topics here regarding proper electrical grounding through the dust hose.