Thread: WANT TO CUT ELECTRICAL SWITCHPLATE COVERS NEED HELP!

Default WANT TO CUT ELECTRICAL SWITCHPLATE COVERS NEED HELP!

Would like to buy a library of the different switchplate cover combinations to be able to cut. As well as the proper tooling to cut them out. Not looking for free, Does anyone have a source for such files. Thanks Bruce

I would also be interested.

I have cut custom plates myself a few times. I just took measurements from existing plates.

I suppose that I could make up some files but the time involved would be better spent in other pursuits such as making my bot cut correctly which is task enough for me . If someone had a library that had the different sizes and configurations available I would be glad to pay for such an item. I don't know if R&G engravers or vecric or James Booth etc. may have something like this available. I just don't want to be the one reinventing the wheel. Any help- would be much appreciated by a newbie such as myself Thanks Bruce

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

newfangled solutions

20841.jpg

Bruce,
    You'll be missing half the fun of owning a Shopbot if you don't try your hand at writing a few simple programs. The CA, CC, CP arc/circle and the CR rectangle commands are so powerful, that once you understand them, you'll be able to cut almost any receptacle.

In the photo that Gary Beckwith posted, there are three D-type connector cutouts that could easily be cut using the CR command along with a single MX or MY command to cut the 'ears'. The duplex receptacle could be cut with two CR commands to cut the center out of each receptacle followed by two CA commands per receptacle to cut the 'bowed' sides.

My suggestion would be to buy a $15 sheet of pink styrofoam and have some fun learning how to use the commands. You can use any simple editor (WordPad, NotePad, or preferably Crimson Editor - free via the Internet) to write the programs. I keep a template file that does the start-up and finish procedures, i.e.

(at the beginning of the file)
    SA
    JZ, 1.00
    J2, 0.0, 0.0
    SO,1,1

and at the end of the file:

SO, 1,0
    JZ, 1.00
    J2, 0.0, 0.0
    END

Those few lines get the machine in a safe orientation and turn on the spindle. You add the body of the code to cut the receptacles and then the end sequence turns off the spindle and puts the machine in a safe orientation.

Sometimes getting out an old Geometry book is all that it takes to prove to yourself how simple it is to turn the Shopbot into a really friendly machine. Don't let us old white-haired geeks have all the fun. Jump in. The water's fine.

Here's a link to Lutron switchplate CAD page:
    Lutron

Hope this helps