Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sign foam

geneM (Unregistered Guest) Guest

Default Sign foam

Any else have trouble with the dust from sign foam.
    seems that thedust is static charged...sticks to everything.
    I am also wondering how many HP are everyones dust collectors.

I have 3 HP on 5, 4" hoses.

Maybe I should step it up.
    Thanks
    Gene

Yeah....static and lots of it!!! I just cut some yesterday and when I pulled it off of the table, my shirt..dog hair and just about anything weighing under a pound was stuck to it!!!

I have found that if you spray Static Guard on your vac brush, it keeps it clear. In terms of neutralizing the static build up on the foam itself, that is a little more tricky...and I am not sure if spraying SG on the foam itself would cause problems with finishing/crazing.

Humidity plays a major role in static...the more humidity you have in the shop, the less static build up...although I doubt dowsing the foam is a good idea...or adding humidity to your woodshop is a good idea either.

If you are only cutting foam once in a while, it's one of those things that you have to live with. If all you are doing is cutting foam, and it drives you nuts, then an industrial ionizer would be the ticket. An industrial ionizer will neutralize the static charge...and your wallet!

-Brady

This could be a fairly inexpensive solution to static cling. I haven't tried it, but I saw an ad where I think they started at $129.00. http://www.ionixtechnologies.com/pla...bricating.html

I wonder if there's a way to employ the static cling sheets that are designed for the clothes dryer? Price is right.

toe_jam Guest

How about adding a Vicks Vaporizer next to the table?

geneM (Unregistered Guest) Guest

That also might help aid the dust collection.

Brady,
    Was there a guy at last years jamboree that used something like this to cool the bits during cutting?

I use masking tape, and totally cover the entry hole where the router bit plunges into the dust collection pickup "foot".Then I let the bit plunge through the masking tape when it starts to make it's cut. This minimizes the size of the hole, and helps to eliminate much of the "competition" between the router exhaust, and the vacuum pickup.
    The BEST thing I did however was to buy (20-25 bucks) one of those "air deflectors" made by Steve M., and sold by Shopbot. This clamps on to the bottom of the router with a hose clamp, and totally diverts the exhaust from the router in an upwards direction. Once I did that, my dust collector became much more effective at picking up the "HDU fog" which I used to have in the shop...
    If you use a different router than the PC/Milwaukee ( he might have one for a Makita as well) it wouldn't take too much imagination to build one ( OR ask Steve to expand his product line....).
    P.S. My dust collector is a 1.5 hp Delta...

Gene,
    Think you're talking about an Arizona Vortex Cool Tool.

http://www.arizonavortex.com/cooltool.htm

Right on Ken. We had one at our camp in Oklahoma, and it certaily did a great job. However, it does nothing to help with static charges, But it really chills down the cutting area. I don't remember who brought this. It might have been Joe Crumlee, or maybe David Allen. The website above if for the very same tool we played with here.
    Incidentally, many years ago I did screen printing for a five and dime chain. (G.F. Wacker Stores, Inc.). This was the original silk screen printing, and I can assure you static electricity was my mortal enemy. I found if I placed a wet rag beneath the screen, static electricit was virtually eliminated. Brady, as usual, is right on about humidity being a problem with static build up. If we can find a way to ground the atmosphere, we would be right on track.
    Maybe we can address this at our camp in April. We are going to cut some foam. Any suggestions will be welcomed, and tried.
    Doug

Hmmm...got me thinkin' here...What might be an interesting experiment...What if you used a MISTER instead of the Vortex unit...and directed it towards the bit? This would increase the humidity at the highest concentration of static.

Not sure how that would work...but the better mist units put out a very small atomozed droplet that would not create a puddle on the workpiece. As I am typing this...what IF you used distilled or ionized water...<---is there such a thing?

-Brady