Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Bulletin Board (Note to admins)

One advantage on that IPB software is those uploaded images are thumbnails for quick loading until you click on them.

Yes Erik, that is indeed a nice feature.

Another thing that I like is page sequence when a thread reach a certain number of posts...

I like to get emailed when I get reply from the threads I subscribe to or have contribute to...

I would like to make 0.25$ on every post I make too...!
    8o)

Just wondering, is this a dead issue? I know they were saying that a new board wouldn't load fast on slow speed internet connections, but I was reading on the subject and found that there is far more broadband (almost 75%) customers compared to analog modem customers in the US. In business' it's up to 92% of all internet connections are broadband. In other countries it's making huge jumps every year. http://www.nielsen-netratings.com/pr/pr_060621.pdf

Hate to see this die over something that is a not a problem for the majority of users out there.

Dave

I was wondering about this issue myself. Is this site looking into a new board?

This discussion kind of bled over to this thread:
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1172007109

Some of the hilites of my message was
    1)they need to do a poll or survey to see the average speed of users and i think they would see a majority have better than a 56k speed.

2) Maybe have a seperate section for "high speed Show and Tell" for those who want to post a more detailed better resolution picture of their work.
    No one will convince me that a 50k picture is as good as a 800k picture that is bigger than 640x480.
    I think we need a place also where we can ask questions on shopbot/workshop related issues without posts being deleted and threats of being banned.
    I have been "spanked" on more than one occassion, i guess when you ask 400 questions you're bound to unwittingly ask the wrong question once in a while.
    I don't know about others but when i make a project frankly i like to talk about it. I would like to make a page detailing how i made that. I think others would do that to if the opportunity was there. Given the participation i've seen in the camps there are TONS of ideas out there that are untapped because we don't have a convienent vehicle to share them on.
    I can think of tons of good questions to ask for this survey....
    I can't tell you how many guys i have talked to off the forum via email and telephone and how much i've learned from them.
    My comments are only meant to make this a better place for sharing.

Actually I use both broadband and dial up, this board runs slower on my dial up than the wood carving illustrated board powerd by V bulletin.
    This one seems to take a lot longer to load compared to several others.

I agree.. There could be an easily accessible wealth of info on this forum but ppl cant upload files to share with others, links are too hard to post, alot of other problems that discourage ppl from sharing their efforts.

I found a dxf on the site here the other day and had to email the guy to ask for a copy. he said he had posted it but I couldnt find it.

Did I mention that IPB boards won;t slow down dial up users because all images are thumbnails until clicked on.

And.

They have a download section that gives a nice lil thumbnail of what that file is.

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums, Hayes VA

I run a vBulletin forum, we chose vBulletin because it is capable of growing beyond our expectations. The software is well supported and upgrades always add new features that everyone enjoys. vBulletin also uses thumbnails for pictures, this keeps the speed reasonable for dialup users and allows us to provide a larger pic size for files.

We receive over 640,000 hits per day and have been online for over 4 years running vBulletin so I can vouch for the quality of their software.

Any feedback ADMINS?