Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Worlds largest CNC capacity?

What a wide world of ideas out there. Fantastic.
    At its core, every "group" bands together for the common good or cause. Regardless weather they are the local charity, or a sophisticated global buying/marketing group. Such groups recognize they have more power to achieve their goals as a unit than as individuals. Generally anyone willing to contribute to the group goal and abide by the rules is welcome. When/if successful they continue to evolve, try new things,add, delete, or modify their methods or membership in persuit of their goal(s).

Shop Bot and this forum just happen to be the common denominator for such a group already. But Shop Bots goal is to sell and support machines and their users. And on that front, the FORUM does a Fantastic job! The question is; "Are there other/new methods that can be organized and agreed upon to further the OTHER GOALS of the users/members.

Not every scenario would be appropriate but at the top of the food chain would certainly be increasing sales and marketing awareness of what we each do no matter if it is on the Bot or other complimentary materials and methods.

I find that when I show folks products they gravitate towards the uniqueness of a "routed sign" as Gerald says or a added feature to a simple door casing trim piece. Perhaps a nicely routed personalized cutting board with their name on it, a hand crafted rocking horse, or a fireplace mantle are all essentially one of a kind pieces vs a production commodity available at Home depot.
    Once they find us, the pitch is really focused on "what they want" as a custom piece not necessarily how its made or what its made with although often wood and CNC are key factors in their search. The WOW factor of photos and samples plus the personal meeting with the artist is an important part of the custom fabricators appeal and selling/buying experience. That in itself creates more value.

This piece was "made expressly for you" is a key part of the attraction for "non commodity/Custom" goods among folks who have the desire and $ to pay for it. Meeting the "artist who made it" is also part of the pieces story and attraction. And YES they are fascinated to learn its done on a CNC machine but really don't care who makes the machine. I don't refer people to the Shop Bot web site to see what it/we can do because thats not the right vehicle to help me sell them something. I would love to be on a site showing Mike's rocking horse and have someone ask "Can you make me one of those?" Because I know I could drop Mike a note and get help with plans, prices, or buy the plans to make one here in the US via the forum.

If I had to state the one goal of the type of group I envision it would be ... Leverage the WOW factor
    "To increase sales through customer awareness of the unique capabilities and locations of the member shopbotters". Could other NON Bot folks join? Sure, why not: but the Bot and this forum is the "glue that binds us together"

With the vast amount of Talent within the shop Bot community, I can't help but wonder what would happen IF a group was established and posted a request for proposal in the forum business section to quote a web site and maintainence contract for a commercial site that would incorporate multiple companies/members products, photos, locations, capabilities, and contact details with quarterly updates and top listing on search engines.
    Sure the forum already does that but its pointed at Bot Buyers, not buyers of what we make.
    Not sure what the "key words or relevant content" criteria would be but that's what the web wizards figure out.

Of course once they find you you need some unique things to sell but as Mike says the collaboration and pooling of projects, plans and ideas would also be a natural extension and IS what the forum helps accomplish.
    Anyone can buy tooling, learn how to use it and make things. The entry barrier to CNC is fairly low today so the key is to get buyers to find you and buy from you.
    ShopBot and this forum is a "unique Community" among CNC equipment sellers and users. There is a vast difference between what a company buys a Thermwood machine for and what a Botter buys one for. Accordingly we serve vastly different markets with occasional overlaps but that $150,000.00 machine probably isn't stopping to run a sign, rocking horse, or cutting board for Grandma.
    Have a Great day! Now I have to go try to find some customers and finish those personalized Christmas presents.

One of the dangers that I see in promoting "This beautiful piece of art/crafts/furniture was produced using a Shopbot CNC Router" is the fact that all of us have differing abilities to design quality products. Most of the parts I design are still greatly inferior to items designed by others. In fact, I really feel good when I wouldn't be ashamed to give the piece to the local Deseret Industries (a type of thrift store where we donate our worn out clothes and furniture). Because of all the years I've spent programming computers, making the Shopbot 'do' something is not too difficult; however, designing something that has beauty, strength, and functionality will still take a while to learn.

Since there is no 'union' or 'guild' or 'association of shopbotters' that enforce minimum standards on the things that we produce, stating that 'This piece was produced on a Shopbot' could either produce the 'Wow' that we all like to hear, or it could produce the 'What a piece of junk' that I usually hear from the hidden microphones that are used to get someone's true impression.

Mike

Agreed that there is no 'association of shopbotters', and I haven't heard the 'What a piece of junk' comment yet (all I hear is I can make that). But everytime I cut something I learn something new that I can do, agreed it may need more practice to get it right but that goes with learning. If this community were to share in the buying of materials and/or jobs. Then, we all might, I say again might just be the better for it.

My two cents.

Marshall's Millwork, Pt. Pleasant New Joisey

Hey, who hasn't heard... "do it nice, do it twice"

Fabricating a quality product and satisfying a customer /contract is a business imperitive.
    I like Dennis, learn something on every project or everytime I run a file, or everytime I read the forum. But, when it comes down to designing or delivering a satisfactory product the "Buck Stops Here"
    Figuring out how to make it is a nice problem to have. One which I wish I had more of.

That never happens IF one does not get the opportunity to quote in the first place.
    Plus the forum does a fantastic job of helping us with the "tricks and tips" to make it happen already.I would love to turn over or refer a job to another qualified Botter rather than turn it away.

On Mike Johns earlier note, I agree that a specific "Marketing Section" would be an appropriate and useful addition to the forum.
    Maybe that would help isolate common Sales/marketing issues and potential positive solutions over time.

Also appreciate BTK's comment about such a web alliance. Maybe there is a qualified web developer that would wish to take on such a project or chime in.

Its fun to BOT around ideas but converting ideas into action is "where the rubber meets the road".
    Merry Christmas to all.

One of the biggest advantages that Shopboters have is this forum. It is also one of Shopbot's biggest advantages. As I said before, I am not sure if as a group we would have much buying power, but as a group of minds working together it gives us a lot of power. Knowing I had a source of knowledge, I was a lot more inclined to say "I can do that" with the Shopbot.

If you buy any other CNC machine, you are on your own or rely only on your sales rep. Because of this forum, we can post problems and find solutions that makes the Shopbot a lot more powerfull.

I also have to say that Shopbot's attitude toward encouraging thier users to tinker with their machines and add to them has made the Shopbot CNC a lot more powerfull system than other CNC systems. As a group we have all come up with some innovative ways of using the Shopbot to solve problems.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Andrew,
    So right you are .I purchased an epilog laser and the last time i heard from the sales rep. Scott Jackson was when the 26000.00 check cleared.
    The forum and the support from Scott,Grant,Frank and the rest of the shopbot crew is one of the main reason i purchased the bot.

Whispering Pines Innovations LLC, Grand Rapids MN

Ref. Andrew and gene.

I second that!