Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy 32 Problem

Default Buddy 32 Problem

I just went out to run a file and I'm having some problems. I turned on the buddy and the software picked it up, but it wont move. I've re-booted everything several times. The control box seems to be working - it picks up the limit switches and zzero plate and I can switch the relays on/off. The motors won't move. The software shows that the tool is moving but nothing happens. When under power, I can also move each axis by hand (this is the first time I have ever moved one by hand). It is happening on all 3 axis. Any Ideas?

I've had the buddy for about 6 months and had no problem. Thanks

Phil

This may or may not help, but when i have things like this happen not only do i cycle the bot and computer of and on, but i also go over to the circuit box and shut the circuit off to release any little monkeys running around in the circuitry causing havoc. Does the Buddy just unplug? If so cyle of/on again but unplug also.
    This may not help one bit...but who knows

Thanks Jack but I already tried that. I unplugged it, waited a few minutes and still have the problem.

Phil

If everything on the computer is working properly, but the stepper motors are not moving, check the power supply that runs the stepper motors. Maybe someone can give you the value of the exact voltage, but I'm guessing that you should have 40V to 50V feeding the Geckos.

My bot was doing something similar and I had to reload the firm ware on my controller.

Mike, That is something I didn't think of. I checked and I'm getting 65v out of the transformer and the same running into the board so it doesn't seem like that is the problem. I'm guessing that it is not a computer issue simply because the motors don't lock into place when the control box is one - I can move them with just a little bit of pressure. Thanks!

Phil

I tried updating the firmware and it didn't make a difference. Still won't move.

If your software is seeing steps but you're getting no travel and you're able to move things manually when the steppers are powered, I'd wonder if some trickster had loosened the screws in all of your pinion gears :-)

Does the Buddy use a contactor (heavy duty relay) that turns on when power is applied or when a momentary switch is pressed (like the Alpha control boxes)?

If you have voltage available for the steppers, but the steppers are not "locking", then the steppers are not getting that voltage. Check the wiring between the power supply and the stepper drivers for any mechanical problems - fuse blown, loose wire, contactor/relay not working, etc.

Is your control software in Preview mode or Move mode?