Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle or Router

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Default Spindle or Router

What is the strongest advantage to having a spindle versus a router. I don't want to sound cheap, but a person can buy numerous routers to replace just one spindle. I am looking at the 4hp HSD spindle. Is the 2.2hp sufficient for most applications? A PC router has 3.25hp so wouldn't it provide more power than the 2.2hp HSD? Or is it a case the spindle has more torgue? I realize the spindle is quiter than a router so that is a plus. Thanks

The router is economical but in no other way does it compare to a spindle.

Spindle
    Pros: Quiet. Runs from 1 RPM to 18k RPM accurately making controlling chipload much easier. Designed for long term continuous running. Torque and power curves are much flatter across the RPM range.
    Cons: Expensive. Requires 220V. More expensive to replace bearings.

Router
    Pros: Very economical. Runs on 110V. Easy to replace quickly. Cheaper to repair.
    Cons: Rated power and torque only available at full RPMs. Harder to control chipload since you don't know the actual RPMs. Routers have "run out" or an acceptable amount of play in the bearings, granted this is small but it's there.

Not an all inclusive list but I think you get the idea. In the end it really comes to economics. For me I'd get a 2.2HP spindle before I upgraded to Alpha. However, if I knew my finances would be available in 6 months or so, I'd get an Alpha with a PC router and upgrade to a 4HP HSD spindle later.

/RB

Lasertech Alaska/Skiffkits, Anchorage Alaska

Go spindle if you can afford it, hell, go spindle even if you can't afford it!
    RB covers it well, another benefit is the industry standard ER collets are far superior to the hand held router collets, bits are not cheap!

Having a spindle on your cnc gives you the peace of mind knowing chance are it's not gonna take a dump on you in the middle of a critical job cutting expensive material.

well not 1rpm go much below 3k and the spindle sounds like it has gravel for bearings.
    bit life is extended too since you can control the rpms.

True 1 RPM is theoretical and of no practical value. But I have cut without a problem as low as 5000 RPM doing a small engraving.

/RB

Here is what a router sounds like....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

here is what a spindle sounds like.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

I take it that a spindle will accept the same router bits as a PC? Hope so, I have a small fortune in bits I want to use. I take it by Neal's comment "another benefit is the industry standard ER collets are far superior to the hand held router collets" that spindle collets are more precise than "normal" collets? Am I correct?

Daryl...
    Yes... MUCH greater precision with a spindle collet than the standard PC router collet. Add the runout of lower bearings in the router and you may have as much as .015 to .020 slop with a router. A spindle should be in .005 to .008 range.

Another advantage is that the spindle has the ability to keep its power thruout the RPM range. This allows you to cut plastics and non ferrous metals that require slow cut speeds along with higher chiploads that keep the bit cool. That increases bit life.

To us the noise is negligble as the cutting tool makes more noise than either a spindle or router.

As far as the power goes, I have over a dozen PC routers from lam trimmers to the 3+ HP versions. Under a fair load our 4 HP HSD will push a 1/2" bit thru hardwoods at 2 to 3 times the speed that the 3.25hp PC could and it wont even sound like it is bogging down.

All the answers above are good. The spindle is much better. Its also much more expensive. And it is worth it or we wouldn't have them,
    Gary

I've never seen anyone who bought a spindle go back to a router. Be about like going back to dial-up Internet.

Donn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz