Thread: Pink and blue Starboard?

Default Pink and blue Starboard?

anyone worked with the different colors (grades?) of Starboard? I looked at some today, they felt more dense and slicker, more like HDPE.

da

David,

As usual you are way ahead of me. I haven't seen this product and wonder how you are using it.

Do you think,knowing my business, we could use it?

Joe Crumley

Joe,

I saw it for the first time in a Marine Surplus / Salvage yard. the 'pink' was more of a Raspberry or dark Cranberry. the 'blue' was lighter than Navy but grayer than Denim. both had sort of a 'dusty' cast.

the surfaces looked like white Starboard but the machined edges looked more like the HDPE 'slick strip' used on woodworking machines, sort of 'greasy', and felt slick on the fingernail.

it wasn't as ridgid as solid surface acrylic. a 3/4" sheet had the same 'bow' as 3/8" plywood.

it was priced less than the white per pound but felt denser, so I thought it'd cost more for the same size. I was looking for something to 'play' with so I passed on it and went with the white. I plan on going back next weekend to see if I can pick up some cheap.

I imagine it's used around here for exterior fixtures (sinks, cup holders, fish cleaning stations, etc.) so it should stand up to weather and sun.

don't know how it'd paint, but if your applying vinyl or white letters to it, it should hold up OK. on the pallet I saw were various sizes from around 1/4" to 3/4". the colors were only available in full sheets, 4X8. another reason I got a small piece of white.

If I get some next week, I'll try some test cuts and post the results.

da

This is King Colorcore of which Bill P. spoke of a few weeks back. I have a piece of the black on white to do a sample for a prospect for. No-one seems to want to part with less than 4x8. It is pricey but the idea is no finishing.
    http://www.kingstarboard.com/Products/Colorcore.aspx

Dave

it's all one color, not layered like Colorcore.

I checked their website and the colors are different from the ones posted for any of the Starboard versions. it might be one of their other plastic products, some of those don't have color charts or listings.

da

starboard is hdpe, there are many variations of the material with the chemical formulation altered to suit the specific task. everything from playground equipment to nuclear containment. I have work with product from King Plastics, Polymer Industries, and Vycom. I like vycom's material the best and the have a variety of product lines. I use King when the Vycom doen't have the thickness I need. Polymer Industries Densetec seems more suited for industrial applications but all three share the benefits of being a colorfast long lasting material
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me