Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking bits on baltic birch

Default Breaking bits on baltic birch

doing a project in 19mm Baltic Birch.
    Started using a .25 two flute straight bit at 3IPS @ 15000rpm,that bit lasted 20 minutes.I noticed the bit showed signes of overheating.
    Switched to a .25 up spiral same rpm but 2.5 IPS,that bit lasted 15 minutes.Rechuck another upspiral and slowed it down to 13000 rpm.and finished the toolpath.
    I'd would use a larger bit but don't have the room.
    Any suggestions on IPS & RPMs with 19mm Baltic Birch.
    I just ordered some .25 compression & down spiral bits so I'd like them to last longer

You can't cut baltic in a single pass with a .25 bit for very long. I use a downspiral .25 and stepdown .25 each pass with a small offset. then I have the machine come bask and clean the edge in a single pass. I cut baltic all day at 1.67 IPS at 15000 to 19000 rpm.

If one believes the "rule of thumb" on bit cut depth/pass = bit diameter, then one would take 3 passes at the optimum feed and speed. Increasing the depth will require adjusting either speed/feed/or both.
    We cut 3/4" 13 ply all day with a 5mm straight 2 flute bit, 160 IPM, at .260/pass on a PRT. I assume an Alpha would push harder or run faster.

Brian
    I do some Baltic Birch - 1/4in and 1/2in. I use 1/4" Down spiral, 2flute bits from Centurion Tools. I run these at 2 in per second and 12,000 RPM. Haven't had any problems with overheating, and get fairly smooth finish.

Butch

Brian,

By any chance did you get your bits from MCLS? I tried twice using their 1/4" downspiral bits and twice they broke within 20 minutes.

In any case run over to Lowes or something and pick up one there (or any other manufacturer). If it works fine using the same parameters you'll know it's a problem with the bit.

Christian

Same here Butch.

Centurion Tools are the way to go.
    Haven't had a broken bit since I started using them

Erminio

Sorry I guess I should have elaborated,I am stepping down .25 per pass.
    The 2 flute straight bit I got from Lee Valley.
    The upspiral was a freud I know there not great bits,but I live in a small town with Ferry acess only so I don't have bit supplier at hand.I just ordered some bits from CMT and I hope they are an improvement.
    Thanks Brian

Brian
    That is my step down also.
    Here is the web and phone for centurion tools.
    They are usually very quick in their response. I have tried several different bits, but have the best results from these folks. Besides, they are very nice to deal with.

http://www.centuriontools.com/
    phone:540.967.5402

Butch

I use only Whiteside bits. They have always worked good for me and I find them at a very reasonable price from Alan at http://www.woodworkersworld.net

Got to watch out for them evangelical centurion guys. I am surpised Jack Jarvis has not posted here about them, He works on commision I think.

-D

First of all, who decided we are evangelical? Second of all, We do not pay anything to Jack Jarvis or anyone else who speaks highly of our cutters. We make all of our own cutters unlike some of the others out there. We take pride in what we make, and sell. We have been in business for 11 years, and have not had to pay anyone to say good things about us, This includes customers such as Thomasville furniture, Bassett, General Motors, Siemens, among a long list of others. No need to watch out for us, what we make, we stand behind, because we know what it is when it goes out the door.

Fred
    Centurion Tools LLC