Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probe Problems-(Continued)

Default Probe Problems-(Continued)

Talked to scott today, (couldn't call back after 5pm) so i need advice from the 3-11 shift of experts here!

I'm using the beta control software 3.5b22. I went thru the loading of firmware. It recognizes probe. We set up a test probe with these parameters (pictured below)

20802.jpg
    Now my understanding is the probe should move in the X axis till the side of the probe contacts the object. It should stop, raise up, lower and start probing the object, right?
    This starts moving in the X axis contacts the object and continues in the X without raising up and if i were not holding the object and moved it, it would drag the probe across the surface till it broke (again). Also the stepovers seemed like they were about 1/8" at a time and not 1000th which would be a tiny movement.This is the same behavior as before. This feels like a software issue to me.."But what do i know, i'm just the 800 pound Gorilla in the room". Anybody with a probe that is successful can give advice? THANKS

The first thing I'd suggest is to make sure that the probe is connected and working correctly.

When the probe tip contacts the blank (or when you move the tip of the probe with your finger), does the #1 input indicator light go off in the red panel control panel, and come back on when you release it?

I've always had good luck with this version of the probe file. It ran well on my PRT in SB3, I have not tried it on the Alpha since I rarely do 2D scans, and 3D is done on a dedicated laser machine.

Be sure to enter in the correct parameters.

-B

S_prb3d2.sbp (5.2 k)

Hi bill, brady..the probe is connectly correctly. The red light is on underneath the probe, when you touch the probe the light on the probe turns green, then back to red. However the #1 light on the control panel is on and green but does not change upon contact of the probe. The Z never moves up and down when you do a probe. It starts out and moves up about 3/4", goes back down, moves in the x axis, side of probe contacts surface, it continues in the X axis, does not raise up but would continue to drag across surface. Sounds to me like it is continuing in the X as if it is looking for the edge to start and the probe is not getting that info back to the software.

I know nothing about the movement strategy of this thing but the movements suggest that the X and Y parameters are set (by virtue of what you set) and independent of the probe and the probe only maps out the topographical features of the piece correct? That might explain why its not moving in the Z axis, as the signal is not getting back to the software. Am i on the right track here?

Did you try the old tried and true S_prb3d2.sbp I posted? The new probe routines are different than this one (pretty sure).

-B

headed out to the shop now to do that...thanks will report results.

Well by tomorrow I will regret this rant but as they say "OH, WELL"!!

MY probe Broke AGAIN. Shopbot You really need to provide complete comprehensive instructions with these parts or stop selling them! Clearly there are software issues and problems that need to be fixed. I've had this thing 6 months and haven't been able to probe one part. Man, this is frustrating!!!
    ----------------rant off...........

Brady I used your sbp file, had it over my indexer bay in an area i thought was safe and it acted like it was going to a 0,0 point and hit the table breaking the probe off at the threaded part. I don't know what happened. But thank you for helping me.

Thats why I dont think I'm gonna buy a probe or indexer.. At least not until there some sort of instructions

John,

Sounds like this is a little late...guess I should have stayed up later (or you should have gone to sleep earlier).

"However the #1 light on the control panel is on and green but does not change upon contact of the probe."

The led light on the body of the probe only tells you if the internal switch in the probe is working, NOT if it's connected and communicating correctly with the input switch in the control box. The real test of any kind of input switch connection are the input switch indicators in the red control panel. With a probe, if the indicator light on the control panel doesn't turn off when the tip makes contact with either the blank or your finger, and back on when you release it, the control box and the software don't know when the switch has been triggered. Since the indicator doesn't go off on your tool when you move the tip, that problem has to be fixed before you can do anything with the probe, no matter what software you use.

It could be a connection or internal problem with the probe itself, but since by default the Z-zero plate and the probe are connected to the same input connection one simple possibility is that your Z-zero plate is making contact with the body of tool when you're not using it and therefore with ground, keeping the circuit completed so that the probe can't break the circuit and turn off the input switch. With your Z-zero plate in it's normal, resting position, is the #1 indicator in the red panel on when the probe is unplugged?

Bill

Jack, As they say "I feel your pain" I too experienced your exact problems with the probe. There were actually two problems one was as Bill described. The second was that the wiring diagram provided was incorrect. I eventually worked out the issues. You are correct the documentation is poor. I even called ShopBot and offered to write a manual for it... no one ever called back. I got so mad about this I tossed the probe in the trash. I'll pay someone to do scans the next time. Maybe Ted will kick some butt and get it done. SO THATS MY RANT