Situation: I have a Shopbot Buddy 32" Standard with a PC router and a 1/2 collet/nut. Nothing else. As yet, I've not done anything more than air cutting. Because I need to start from scratch in learning to use software as well, I'm probably going to go with Vectric/Shopbot's newly announced Aspire so that I can hopefully limit myself to one program. Cutting speed is not a priority, I'd rather focus on detail and finish quality - as little sanding, etc. as possible and doing virtually everything on the Shopbot if possible - I have no other woodshop equipment and little room for anything - I want to tinker, make nice carved gifts and do some model/prototype work for my own ideas and my son want's to build the occasional guitar and do inlay work.

What I need to know is what would be a good selection of bits to start off with including backup bits for most frequently used ones. I'd need a planing bit in there I imagine. Budget - maybe $250??? Hopefully the background info above will help a bit as I'm sure there are 1000 "right" answers to this.

Thanks kindly,
Gerry