Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probe Compatibility

Default Probe Compatibility

I hate to admit it, but I was once a Compucarve / Carvewright owner and I just ordered my Bot. Please don't hold that against me
    . I bought a Carvewright probe and still have it. Can I use this probe with the Bot with a 4HP spindle? Would it work as well as the ShopBot probe?

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/probe

http://store.carvewright.com//produc...roductid=16134

Regards,
    Rick

Most likely, yes. You will have to determine 2 things.

1) Is it a normally open or a normally closed switch?
    2) Does it require external power to operate?

Use a test meter on the continuity setting to determine NO or NC. If you cannot get continuity, it may require power to work - which means either taking it apart or contacting the manufacturer to find out what voltage is required.

-B

Brady, if I understand your answer, if the probe is Normally Closed, then it will work with the Bot? Is that correct?

Regards,
    Rick

Yes, that is correct.

-B

Here is the answer I received. That said, would this work with the ShopBot? If not, could I customize it to work?

The probe is a simple mechanical SPST normally closed switch. When nothing is touching the tip, the switch has continuity and it breaks when the tip is pushed up or sideways. It does not use any power, it only makes or breaks the circuit.

Regards,
    Rick

You'll take one wire and hook it to the input 1 terminal, and take the other wire and hook it to ground. You should see input 1 light up when nothing is touching the probe & go off when you trigger it. If this does not work, reverse the wires. The input 1 wire is shared with the Zzero plate wire by means of a Wago connector on the machine. Follow the instructions for wiring in your manual, except for when it describes hooking up to voltage. There's not much more to it than that, except the following safety advice:

1) NEVER turn on the spindle/router when the probe is in the collet. Sounds obvious...others have acutally done this.

2) NEVER use the Zzero plate to zero out the probe. The Zzero plate shares the same circuit as the probe & doing so will smash/crush the probe.

3) Tape the shaft of the spindle/router to it's body to prevent incidental spinning while probing.

-B

Brady...
    How will the probing software interpret the normally closed versus normally open configuration? Will the "1's" have to be changed to zeros?
    Gary

If you use the Copy Machine Virtual Tool to set up your probing, you can choose between normally open or normally closed and it will write the correct input switch settings.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at this when I get my machine in a few weeks or so.

Regards,
    Rick

Gary,
    The SB Probe is normally closed, so the default SB config (as if you bought a SB probe) would work...but as Bill points out, you can also use a NO probe and still take advantage of the probing routines.

-B