Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rail and Wheel Maintenance

Default Rail and Wheel Maintenance

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my rails and wheels clean. Anyone have any ideals?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin..
    Due to the salt in the air here my rails were rusting terribly. I used a hard wicking felt angle cut with a V-groove in the bottom to rub on the rails. I keep them saturated with RD-90 and every now and then give them a shot of White lithium grease, which coats the rails. The block is wedged in and rubs on the wheels to keep them clean too. I used 4.
    Gary

23412.jpg

Kevin..
    I found a picture of the back side.
    Gary

23415.jpg

Gary -

As usual you are always one step ahead. Couple of questions, where do you get RD-90? I found the grease at McMaster-Carr, but no results for RD-90. I also found the wick there as well, I'm guess I can just fold or roll the wick to get it wedged in, mark for the V cut and I'm good. I have the PRTAlpha, so I have a different setup, but I'll take your ideal and run with it.

Thanks for the help.
    Kevin

Kevin..
    Its made by Sprayway. Just a WD40 upgrade. I get it at sparkleauto.com. You shouldnt have to fold the felt... I ordered a block that was 3/4" X 2" X 30" and did the cutting on my bandsaw. Good luck.
    Gary

Kevin..
    Its made by Sprayway. Just a WD40 upgrade. I get it at sparkleauto.com. You shouldnt have to fold the felt... I ordered a block that was 3/4" X 2" X 30" and did the cutting on my bandsaw. As far as being ahead... I read posts on this forum all the time and realize how far BEHIND I am. Good luck.
    Gary

Heya guys..

I thought WD 40 promotes rust?
    I was always told to never use it on any of my guns or reels because it dilutes grease and will promote rust. People use it as a lubricant but I dont, I normally use it as a solvent or to clean rusty surfaces not to keep it from rusting.

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question...2190359AAM7ScD

Anyways..
    Im in Costa Mesa Ca, a couple miles from the beach, not real salty here but I use silicone spray its dry to the touch, lubricates and doesnt collect debris.

Gary -
    Thanks for the info, I ordered a 1" x 1" x 30" block from McMaster-Carr. The way you have setup your bot is far ahead of at least me.

Danny - Would the silicone spray work with using it on a wick?

Kevin

Danny...
    I dont recommend WD 40 for this use. Most of these products are just mineral spirits and a parifin like compound. Even tho WD will offer some protection, left untouched it will evaporate in a short time. We use it on all our guns and reels as a water displacement, cleaner and lubricant in between daily use, but never for any longer term storage protection. We even keep a gallon to imerse any saltwater dunked reels into before disassembly. I do use WD with a surface conditioning disc to derust the cast iron tops on table saw, shapers etc then we coat with mold wax, but it barely lasts a week before the orange fuzz comes back.
    Kevin...
    RD-90 seems to have a higher oil content and I use it to saturate the wick and that helps keep the grease soft and coating the rails. Since it is applied fairly often to the point of saturation...it seems to work. It is very salty here...we are about 150 ft from the water and always have a breeze. If you look in the 1st picture you can see rust on the top of the bolt. That picture is less than 30 days after assembly of the Bot... most are rusted more now.
    Gary

I've added this info to the wiki in the "ShopBot and Accessories" Maintenance section...

http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=MaintenanceMain

Bill