Thread: ShopBot Wood and Glass Carving?

Default ShopBot Wood and Glass Carving?

I am in the market for a small a small CNC router machines that does both wood carving and glass carving? I do not know if there is such a animal on the market. I have been looking at the ShopBot and have not been able to find out if the ShopBot can do both wood and glass. I was looking for a machine for hobby purposes that does quality work. As a hobby I make friction turkey calls with glass tops and wood box calls that I would like to be able to have photos carved on to the wood paddles on top of the calls. Initially, I was looking at a sandblasting system that can be used on glass and wood for carving designs. But I starting reading about a CNC router and it has peaked my interest. Are there any portable CNC machines on the market at a reasonable price? Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Stoner,
    There are already a few SB customers that make calls on their ShopBot routers. There is no such animal that I am aware of that is suited for cutting both wood & glass. Generally, people have the glass & slate sent out to be waterjet cut.

-B

stoner
    Glass carving is done with multi-stage sand blasting. Using a resist, with pieces pulled and deep carved to different depths.

why could you not use the shopbot to scratch a design into the glass?

Steve I would like to take a photo and have the image engraved on the glass. On a friction turkey call you could take a photo or image and engrave a hunting scene on the top glass portion of the call to give it that custom look. Below is a couple of turkey calls that I have made. There is a glass soundboard inside the call and a glass plate on top of the call. If you could carve or etch an image on both the soundboard and the top glass it would give the call a sharp two dimension look.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...b/P1020838.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...b/P1020824.jpg[/IMG]