Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roll Call: European Shopbotters please post

Default Roll Call: European Shopbotters please post

Hi all,

Being a 'botter located in Europe, it would be interesting to see how many of us there are who frequent the forum. I've seen a few around and talked to some of you, but I'm sure there's more of us.

Please post and be counted, even if you just lurk the forum.

If there's interest, we could set up a chat session using Paco's meebo chat room to discuss 'bottish issues peculiar to us here in our corner of the old world, such as;

* Alternatives to Trupan (or; how do we get it to Europe?)

* Good commercial sources for bits, collets, etc

* Experiences of importing Shopbot systems (customs, tolls etc)

* Getting suport for our HSD/Colombo spindles (etc) directly from the makers in Europe rather than having to go the full detour to North America and Back Again.

* Discussing the somewhat euro-centric software suites (Hettich's Selection, Blum's Dynalog, etc)

* You fill in the rest...

1. Yes
    2. I Don't really do chat rooms.
    3. Sorting spindles in Eu is easy and fun - just done it. There is a lot to learn.

R.

Hi Henric,

I think there are quit a few (maybe 30 or more) Botters in Europe, most of them play "Secret Squirrel" and never post.

We can get Trupan and Spanolux ultalight in the UK, both 500KG/M3.

The best bits we have found are Belin www.belin-y.com (French), I think they are now owned by Onsrud.

My experience of importation is rather hazy as I purchased my Shopbot back in 2000, (modified many times since). I am
    about to order a 120 x 60 PRSalpha with dual Z and a spindle.

I am not really into chat rooms either.

I can use the phone and email. LOL

Regards

Paul

Hi Ralph,

1. Good! I was thinking of you among a few others.

2. I don't do chat rooms either. I don't have an IM client or ID, never had one, and my time on IRC can be counted in the few hours.

However, the meebo chat rooms are very transparent, no software to install, no registration, just load the page in your browser and type. While the forum is great for more focused discussion, I've enjoyed the shopbot room on meebo and its more rapid conversation.

Anyway, if you don't feel like it, I don't want to coax anyone, I'll just say that I'll probably be in the SB room intermittently this evening and maybe tomorrow evening. Peek in if you get curious, the link is

http://wwwl.meebo.com/room/shopbot/

3. Ok, now you have to explain. I've tried getting a support contact with Colombo, and they've been very hard to get any real answers from.

Hello Paul,

Yeah, there's not much noise from our side of the pond. As I remember it, there used to be more of a presence here, but it seems to have faded out.

Where do you get Trupan? I contacted Trupan directly who forwarded me to their EU sales "office" in the Netherlands (which seems to be one import agent), and their answer was basically "No", except for a few special deliveries to Spain they are not bringing it into the EU.

2. Time difference on chat stuff would scupper me anyway - I am ASLEEP at 8pm USA. I do do chat on skype however - if anyone wants to witter let me know (email or www.rhfurniture.com - contact page) with your skype name and I'll type you in.
    3. I just dealt with www.fimec.it - they were very helpful and set up a package for me. Fimec are very similar to HSD, but they are based near Modena, where the BEST balsamic vinnegar in the world (and Ferrari's - Brady take note) comes from, so how could I resist? Unfortunately they couldn't sell to me direct as I trade as an individual,and am not corporate. So their UK agent (www.mandrcontrols.co.uk) set me up for about the same money (ukp900ish) and it works very well. It is 2kw(2.7hp) 18krpm with a built on fan (not electric. A little noisier, but at least if it is going round it is cooling - I have had disasters with computer fans in the past). They are bringing out electric fan versions shortly, but with slightly less KW motor for motor. The inverter is a 1 ph Hitachi that works very well. I am learning configuration as I go, but provided you read the (extensive for these days) manual, it is not hard.

Ralph,

2. The 'Merikuhns are an awfully chatty bunch and there's usually a few on from at least lunch (their time). That said, I was looking more for us Europeans to come together and talk a bit, on the times that are more suited towards our timezones. I don't have broadband installed yet (live and work in the countryside) but Real Soon Now I'll have HSDPA/3G mobile internet, so we could do the skype thing then.

3. Fimec, eh? I have heard lots of good things about them. I guess I just don't really know where to start. I have the Colombo 5hp from Shopbot/PDS, and a couple of Perske's around, I have the spindles, but it seems hard to get into a formal support relationship with the manufacturers directly, they want to take it through the dealers.

What did you pay for the Fimec setup? I have a dual Z and am agonizing whether to install a Makita router, a Perske spindle from my inventory, or a new spindle from -?-. Perske's dealer over here has been rather unhelpful, they basically told me "that's an old spindle, we don't support that, wanna buy the (basically) same spindle new for $3000?"

Just so we're clear, UK is also 230V/50Hz and 400V/50Hz, right? (Never know with you imperial holdouts out there on the islands
    )

Henrik,
    As I said, about 900 sterling (spindle+inverter+filter). The motor is just an exotically built induction motor, designed for overclocking. The interesting bit is the inverter, which basically takes whatever power you give it, turns it into DC with a rectifier, then uses transistors to create 3 phases of AC at whatever frequency you dial in. I imagine that your old Perske's would probably work fine, probably need new bearings, and would probably work with any modern vfd of the matching voltage (aka inverter - try www.inverter.co.uk for specification and prices) - but be warned I am still early on the learning curve with this stuff.
    Yes, we are 230/50 1ph and 440/50 3ph here on this norse offshoot of an island (the anglo-saxons here always say "blame it on the Normans", but guess where the nor(se)mans originally come from?)

Hi, another UK ShopBotter here. Not a chat room ShopBotter, but I have got a spindle, an HSD bought through Shopbot. I also wanted to deal directly with Fimec or HSD but ran out of time/patience. It is such hard work getting companies to sell me stuff.

John

Hello John, good to hear from you.

Ralph, got ya. I will have a look at the Perskes when I get to fiddling with the 2nd Z.

Now that we're a few here, what do you guys use your shopbots for? We mostly do interior/furniture work, but will start up a small production line for caskets soon -- that's what the shopbot was bought for, I figured I'd need it around for 3-4 months doing normal work before I'd be confident enough about it to try real production.