Thread: Probe Created .DXF files will not open in part wizard

Default Probe Created .DXF files will not open in part wizard

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:07 am:

It may have to do with the format you are creating the file as. Scott at shopbot is knowledgable about it but i (think) under format you tick "a dxf file of points". I think by saving it as a sbp file and then using "probe to surface translator" might be the problem beccause if you want to take this into some other program to edit it, it isn't being saved as a operable file. Then again i could be all wrong so give scott a call.

Thanks for posting Jack. I did a little more research today...

So...even after converting the probe created SBP file into a DXF file...it begins to load into part wizard (which is where I want to edit it)...I see the loading progress bar..and then...Splat...I get a "unknown file type" warning...how can it be unknown when it's created in Chopbot?

Hey Mike,

Which output format are you selecting when you run the Copy Machine...the sbp format or one of the two dxf versions?

Part Wizard will read the "dxf polyline" format but not the "dxf points" one...I don't believe any of the Delcam products do.

If you are saving as an sbp file and then converting to dxf, make sure you are converting the probe's output file...the one that you selected in the Windows "Save" dialog box...and not the custom "vt_probe.sbp" file that the Copy Machine creates from your inputs and which does the actual probing.

If you click on the help button in the Copy Machine it will explain this stuff a little more.

Bill

"Then again i could be all wrong"
    See I WAS wrong! its polyline not point cloud.

Many thanks Bill and Jack...I will try this tommorow and let you know how it goes...I thought I was doing that..perhaps a case of Pilot Error though? many thanks!

FYI, there's some info on the ShopBotwiki on using the Probe and Copy Machine in the "ShopBot and Accessories" section. If you're a "Prober" feel free to add to it...that's the way it grows!

http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=ProbeMain

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Guess I kept trying to make a .DXF and not a Polyline .DXF (thought that was for 3D models only)

Succesfully probed a 2D object, loaded the DXF into part wizard and made changes!

many thanks!