Thread: Out of the Ordinary

The Cool Hammer Company, Atlanta (Lawrenceville) Georgia

Default Out of the Ordinary

Take a quick peek here to see what I'm talking about http://coolhammers.com/new_page_1.htm

My poor little brain can't seem to figure this one out. I have been making these Cool Hammers since 1998. I have cut somewhere over 300 so far, on a scroll saw, by hand, with a spiral blade. The letters go all the way through the wooden handle which can be as thick as 1.125". As you can imagine, they are pretty cool, but also time consuming and I have to charge from $70 to $150 each to make it worth my while.

I would love to be able to automate most of the task on the ShopBot with only a little hand clean up.

I think the problem is in finding a cutter small enough and long enough to pierce the entire thickness of the handle. Such a mythical cutter would be 1/16" in diameter with a usable cutting length of 1.125" If you would approach it differently or have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Remembering the reason for the season, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.

Ron

if you could properly register your handle location, you could accurate cut from both sides and meet in the middle, reducing the length of the cutter in half.

You could also hog out the bigger bits with bigger cutters and use the 1/16" for only polishing the edges slowly to avoid breaking bits.

BTW, my wife and I really liked your work especially the christmas ornaments.

John

Hey Ron,

Really liked the hammers, will have to add to my next years christmas list.

You would have to have custom made bits I would think. even then getting one with a bit over 1/2" cutting length may be too fragile. it would take so little to break a bit it would not be funny.
    a more powerful laser would be the tool to do it I think.

Ron, have you looked into getting your hammers cut with a water jet?

yes that would be the tool too. I just don't think the bot is the tool for this job.

Ron,
    Like John suggested you might have to register your handle and cut half way thru then turn over and my suggestion would be to contact Fred at www.centuriontools.com and see if he could make you up the type of bits you need. They are great about helping figure out things like that and reasonable prices too.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. As I suspected, there is no easy solution. I guess that's why I've been cutting them by hand.

I appreciate all of your help.

Ron

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Have you tried a laser ? If concerned about burning i would contact a waterjet mfg. like is used for cutting granite countertops, Do you know any stone countertop shops in your area?

I have a good friend who owns an Epilog 45 watt laser that we use to apply logos when called for and that is several times a year. The problem is the handles are much thicker than the maximum depth that the laser can cut.

Waterjets are a possible option. However, cost for the setup time, machine time and my time getting the hammer there eliminate it as a practical option. Also the hammer handles are wooden. The finish coat is 10 coats of Deft spray lacquer. I would have to wait quite a while for the handle to dry enough to apply the finish.

Looks like I need to order more spiral scroll saw blades for now. I have one particular customer who orders hammers for all of his major clients and project managers each year. This year we only did 8 hammers. I did them all in one long day including the finish work.

I couldn't hold a coffee cup the next day and that is the problem I'm trying to solve. I don't think there is another solution that makes economic sense. Maybe next year I won't wait until the last minute. (I think I heard myself say the same thing last year).

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas and to all a good night.

Thanks.
    Ron