I have a 2001 PRT. Just recently upgraded to the 4G board. Other than that there has really been no changes to the tool since I bought it. With the CNC I try to not fix it if it isn't broke. My question is with my control computer. It is the same Win XP Dell Desktop that I have used since I got the shopbot. I realize Windows has stopped supporting XP, but I have never had this computer connected to the internet, no win updates, no antivirus, no programs except SB control. I do my design and toolpaths on office computer and transfer the file with a usb thumb drive.

Do I need to consider a computer upgrade? I have no issues except the occational machine pause for a moment in the middle of a large line file, in the "status" window at the bottom of the control screen it has to "think" for about 10 seconds at various times. Is this the old PC showing its age and just needing to be replaced?

My wife just got a new laptop, I ordered a factory restore CD from HP for old laptop which has an intel Core I3 proccessor and Win 7 home edition. When the restore CD comes in I could wipe it clean, uninstall EVERYTHING off it and use it? I am OK with computers, but I dont know all the super technical stuff.

Dave