I have been most recently tasked with purchasing a cnc router for our Fab Lab in the Arts Center. I have narrowed down my options to two machines- either the Desktop Max or the Shopbot Buddy. I have only ever used the large 4'x8' shopbot, so don't have any real experience to work from in my decision making process.

We have limited space, and the cnc router must fit into a small L-shaped room just off of the main space. The area where the router will be is 7'x9'. The other part of the 'L' will most likely be for storage and/or the computer. The cnc router will be used in an art educational space with a focus on innovative approaches to traditional art. Examples could be anything from woodworking to sculpture to printmaking to anything really.

Below are some questions/concerns that I have about each of them. If you could help me to answer any/all of them, I would be very grateful.

1. Given the size of the space I have available, do you think that the Shopbot Buddy is a real option, or am I going to find that the space is too cramped?
2. If you have the Desktop Max, how often (if ever) do you wish you had larger capacity?
3. Is one easier to use than the other?
4. Is one more susceptible to breakdowns than the other? Cost more?Harder to repair? More Finicky?
5. Do they both ultimately have the same functions, or are there differences?
6. Is one noisier/dustier than the other?
7. Aside from cost and size, as well as anything revealed by answering the above questions, I was wondering if there are other differences/pros and cons between these two machines, if any.
8. Should I be considering the handibot?

Thank you in advance for helping me with my decision. Any advice or information you have would be greatly appreciated.

~j.