Thread: What is causing this?

Threaded View

Default What is causing this?

Hello all,
    I am in process of cutting a 3D project that I have cut previously a few weeks ago. In fact, I have cut numerous 3D objects in the last few years with excellent results. Yesterday I started cutting again with a new, different brand, 1/8" tapered bullnose and the background has striations of different depths. I let the model finish, put one of my older proven 1/8" bullnose bits in and started to re-cut the model taking off and additional 1/64". It has the same lines. It only appears in the flat areas where there is no Z movement and simply cutting in a straight line. When it is cutting over the model with the Z movement the finish is very smooth. This makes me think I have a wear or adjustment problem somewhere in the Z axis or spindle bearings. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or have suggestions? This is a 5 1/2 hour cut and it is driving me crazy. I have attached a couple pics. I have a 2010 PRS Alpha with the 2.2 hp spindle. I am cutting MDF with a 1/8" Centurion bullnose bit, 3 ips @ 18,ooo rpm.
    Attached Images Attached Images