DR CRUMLEY’S MAGIC GOO
Liquid screws and Instant gasket maker

Dr Crumley’s MAGIC GOO is a product that Joe Crumley introduced to us at his Craftsman’s Workshop this summer.

I've been using Dr Crumley’s Magic GOO quite a bit lately with good results. I started out using it to attach small or warped pieces of material to flat scrap boards that I then sucked down with the vacuum system.

The other day I had an 8' cedar slab sign board that had a bow in it of about 1/2". Vac wouldn't pull it down which was going to cause problems with vcarving if I didn't get it flat. I put it directly on my vacuum bleeder board with a weight on one end and went around that end with the Magic GOO. Waited about 20 minutes and then turned on vacuum under the GOO'd end and moved the weight to other end and GOO'd it and all around the blank. After 20 minutes I turned on vacuum on entire area under blank and it was held down nice and flat - vcarving went great.

Since then I've been using it directly on the spoilboard as an instant gasket whenever a board is not quite flat enough or large enough to hold via just vacuum - it provides plenty of holddown itself, but also provides an airtight seal that makes the vacuum work well. It leaves an orange stain, but does not penetrate deep into spoilboard, so I just clean it off with scrapper until the spoilboard needs resurfacing due to normal cuts into the spoilboard. When I surface the table the residue is shallow enough in the trupan there is no sign of it after resurfacing.

If a board or part being cut is prefinished with something like helmsman or sikkens, a little denatured alcohol on a rag makes removing the orange stain pretty easy. If board is unfinished, the orange stain does not penetrate very deeply, so just a little sanding removes it if it's on a final edge and not on scrap material. Alcohol seems to soften the GOO but does not dissolve it completely if you place a little in a cup of alcohol. The packaging says acetone will remove the uncured foam, so it might work better than alcohol, but I've not tried it. There is a Magic GOO cleaner available from the manufacturer also for use cleaning the applicator gun which I’ve not tried.

The Secret behind Dr Crumley’s Magic GOO?

Don't tell Dr Crumley where you heard it and I'll let you in on it. -- It's Great Stuff Pro Series Gaps and Cracks filler (comes in red can). You have to buy a dispensing gun (there are 3 models that range from about $30 to $60) and a 20oz can of the crack filler is $10 to $12. I'm still on my first can, so not sure how far one can will go, but it lasts quite a while. Most DIY stores do carry small single use cans that don't need a dispensing gun which would be good for giving the product a try.

Magic GOO Info From a web page:

Great stuff Pro Gaps and Cracks is a polyurethane foam sealant. Great Stuff Pro Gaps and Crack filler is closed-cell foam. It forms a water-resistant outer skin when cured. Great Stuff Pro expands to thoroughly fill all voids and cavities making it an ideal air-sealant.

Forms a durable, airtight and water-resistant bond * Bonds to wood, drywall, metal, masonry, glass and most plastics * Tack free in six minutes. Trims in 30 minutes * Wide temperature operating range (25°F to 120°F) Most foams only work in 60°F – 90°F. Freeze/thaw stable * Foam elasticity allows for movement/shifting within a structure from winter to summer * Paintable and sandable.

37194.jpg

37195.jpg

37196.jpg