Hello all,

I've debated making my own CNC machine verses buying one. Untimately, I think I'll buy a shopbot. My reasoning is simple: I want to be in the business of making architectural mill work not making machines.

I've looked at the shopbots as best I can online; however, the machine detail presented leaves a little to be desired. I can't determine the bearing used by Shopbot for linear movement. It almost looks as if roller bearings are mounted to a piece of angle stock and then riding on another piece of angle stock. Is this true? If not what sort of lineat bearings are used? This issue of linear movement is one of my last hurdles in my purchasing decision.

Additionally, I have to determine what software I'll be using. I'm inclined to use Autocad for design work due to it wide acceptance. I can get classes for it via continuing education at Purdue. Beyond Autocad I'm not sure what I'll need. I'm an information systems manager so I'm technically literate on the systems side. That being said, I also know theres a lot I don't know. Any input of types of software required to go from concept to cutting?

Any input would be apprecaited.

Best Regards,

Dan Hofer
danhofer@comcast.net
Fort Wayne, IN