Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing Down

Default Slowing Down

I've decided to sell my shop and move into semi- retirement. Now don't get the wrong idea, I'm not throwing in the towel. But I don't have the necessary energy to keep up the pace I've carved out over the years. This has been a difficult decision but after considering it for a few weeks it's getting comfortable.

I called my good old, old, friend Raymond C. about the idea. At that time I was kicking around selling the business, facility and equipment as a package. That might be difficult and time consuming so to begin with I'll sell the building and down size the equipment. Yesterday, the realtors placed a For Sale sign outside my shop. Right away a buyer paid a visit. This is emotionally heavy work.

I've been asked to share a building with Norman Architectural Millworks. They suggested our businesses will complement each other and have lots more equipment for me to play with. One of the main struggles has been what equipment to sell off. For example whether to retain the sandblast booth and compressor equipment. As many of you know I have relied on a electric twin screw compressor, for blasting, and it would cost $10K to replace. That coupled with my sandblast booth, made year round blasting much easier. All done indoors. That equipment has to go since the back is going. In the future I'll send that work out.

In one way, I'm glad the economy is turning down. If the country was on an upswing and money was flowing like water, I'd probably kill myself with too much work. It's just about right the way it's going and I'm looking forward to hanging on the coat tales of all you fellows.

I'm also planning on posting more interesting projects. Perhaps I'll be able to be more creative with the router.

If anyone is interested in visiting, now would be a good time.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 10-23-2010 at 01:39 PM.

The news is sad but understandable. My conversations with Joe over the years have been inspiring and very entertaining...and we have a tendency to punch each other in the ribs from time to time, but that doesn't lessen our love and concern for each other.

It's a difficult time for old folks like me and Joe. The economy has certainly made an impact on all of us (no matter the age) and that puts a strain on everything, including the passion that drives most of us.

Joe has spent his life doing what he loves to do. Many people spend their lives working at something else in order to get to retirement and then do what they love. We are fortunate in that our work is our passion. That has great rewards in itself, but the financial foundation is not always there because we find such satisfaction in working with our heart and hands and tend to leave the reality of money by the wayside.

As we get older, the passion and physical stamina begin to lessen. A lifetime of lifting, moving, and digging comes home and the days go by faster and faster.

Joe has come to a crossroad. One that we will all reach at some point. Joe's decision has to be his alone and it appears that he has made the right choice. ("When you come to a fork in the road, take it. - Yogi Berra")

We live in a different time than when Joe and I were youngsters. The pace is faster and expectations are higher as to when and how things are done. There seems to be less of a emphasis on workmanship and more of an attitude of "get it out and get the check". Hopefully, that's not just some old guy whining and remembering the "good old days".

My best to you, Joe. We still expect to see those masterpieces here and to hear your words of wisdom. Joe's not quitting - just changing gears.

Good luck Joe,

I hope it all goes smooth for you.
    Kenneth

Best wishes Joe.
    I agree with Raymond about doing what we love. I am still 30 years from retirement but when I quit my job working underground on shift as a mechanic about 3 years ago I feel like I retired. The extra headaches of self employment are easily worth it when the kids can come to work (walk across the yard) and the work is my passion. I can't imagine 30 years in an unhappy place waiting for retirement.
    Please keep posting and helping us new guys out.
    Lorin

Good Luck and thank you.

Don't let Joe kid you...he's not retiring. He has been working on a project for a long time that he recently perfected. Those of you that have een here for a while will recall this. I just happen to see what he's working on (below)...

Joe it would be a shame to just let the business just go away. If i were you I would try to sell it and in the sales price include say a 6 month apprenticeship where you would stay on and teach them and pass on your secrets. Obviously it would have to be priced right for you and the point is he would be getting a business that would make money from day one because you would be there to help create. So they are not just buying tools, but a clientele, and your experience.

Then after you are done with that I would start teaching your signmaking class like you have done in the past say once a month or so to people that would not be competition to your buyer. It would be extra income for you, not a full time job, and still leave you time to devote to your "other" venture....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good for you Joe you have earned it. I hope that will give you more time to rest and possibly share more secrets.

High end sign making is disappearing same as craftsmanship in a lot of trades in lou of quick buck. I would hate this class of sign making to be gone as well.
    100% MADE IN TEXAS! It's not part of China partner.....

Thomas,

Rest easy about the quality of signs being made today. There are lots of artist out there producing some of the best signs ever. With the internet we get a chance to see beautiful work all around the world. I'm taken with the Australian, New Zeland, Canadian, and England. You have lots of company when it comes to outstanding work.

I'm very fond of the English Pub signs being made today. All of the fore mentioned are still using brushes to make signs. We are a step ahead with our technology. But there are lots of young fellows doing aprenticeships around the world.

There's plenty of room for everyone in this trade. Even the sticker heads.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 10-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Joe! Best wishes on your plans! The quality of signs in the world may be rising, but in the Norman area its about to go downhill severely!

You have been a great asset to sign-makers, the CNC community at large, and the market you serve.

Now you will have more time for your travel adventures!

Bev is sitting right here and says hello also! Maybe we will see you in some upcoming Bot event!

Dana
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Joe:

I wish you all the best on your plan to take it a bit easier and have no problem understanding your decision. I have been discussing the same thing with my wife for a while now and although our "how to" plan differs due to the nature of my business the goal is the same. Taking the "production" pressure off and having more time to devote to the more artistic side of woodworking is deeply yearned for.
    If you decide to hit the road for a while make sure you look me up in sunny South Florida or (hopefully) back in the Northwest in a couple of years.

Dave