Thread: Question on mounting Extira

Default Question on mounting Extira

I'm cutting a 47" x 95" sign out of 1 1/4" extira for a non-profit group. It needs to mounted in place of their existing sign which is horizontal 4x4s spaced 28" apart on center. What should I use for a backer? Was thinking of treated lumber glued vertically and bolting the sign through the lumber to the 4x4s. Trying to avoid the top and bottom curling over time after it is mounted. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Andy B.

Andy,

Lets back up. What do you think the advantage is of 1.25" Extira? I love the material but!
    How about some good old .75 PVC or MDO with pocket letters and panels.

You've got to seal up the edges of Extira. Really seal them up, Good. That's where you will see failure first. Once you see those little hair line cracks, the material will begin to flake. This may take a couple of years. I use three coats of epoxy on this product.

Good luck.

Joe C.
    Last edited by joe; 11-17-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Hey Joe,
    The extira is going to be v-carved. Too much text to pocket out. The organization is for troubled teens. For the most part they try to be self-sufficient. They have one of their past residences that works for them now designing the sign and I'm working with him. I've already sent the design back to him to make changes. The original had the text way to small to be viewed from a distances. I'm actually still waiting on the new design. One of the board members suggested HDU but the cost is out of their price range. The original sign was cedar with an MDO backer that failed.

I've attached a picture of their concept. There logo is in the circle. Their name and slogan go above the trees and their website and address are v-carved is the hills. If you have a better material to suggest I'm all ears.

One other restraint that I'm working with is that they want this by thanksgiving. That is when that open up their christmas tree farm for sales. I have to get the material in ASAP.

I'd be glad to take any advice from the pro.

Andy B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andy,

Please don't think I'm not an Extira fan. It's a good product for some uses. I'd be cautious when doing tight area's like the Pine Trees. This material will fuzz. Also I have to assume you plan on masking in order to paint the logo and small letters. I'd doubt it will carry the mask.

I have a simular project. It's a 4'X8' panel with V Carved "Lords Prayer". I'm using 20lb HDU. I could of used PVC. Extira wouldn't carry the detail.

I'd suggest you ran a test.

Joe

hey joe I thought pvc moved all over the place with sun exposure? and it faded with the sun?

Extira is a nice product but just like Joe said it will not hold fine detail.

Here is my $0.02
    Looking on your design you are going to pocket a lot of area. That exposed core is lower density, more porous and much more sealing has to be done.
    You may be able to hold detail if you coat surface before machining to bond fibers with sealant that will penetrate top surface but I have my doubts.

How about MDO faced with acrylic or pine glue up and painted.

Or

Do it as they want just have to explain material choice is not ideal but you work with given budget etc. have them sign proposal with verbage that this will carry so and so warranty due to choice of material by client etc.... so you are covered.
    Produce sign they will be happy with quality and schedule, you collect money.
    How many times I heard that they do not have money in budget.......
    They want Cadillac for price of Yugo I am not charity and go upside down on all my projects. I work with client and negotiating is part of the job.

Look at my signature
    100% MADE IN TEXAS! It's not part of China partner.....

Thanks for the replies. The Extira was my choose since the cost of HDU is out of the question. I've worked with Extira able 3 years ago and the sign turned out great but it was a 34"x46" (roughly) sign mounted against brick. Still looks great to this day.

Have another material that is a PVC type material that was suggested by a local Botter that he uses. I can't remember the name but he says that he has used it for several signs. He also uses it for letters. He is sending me the specs on it. I'll let you know.

Andy B

Steve,

It's necessary to use .75" or 1" PVC for large panel signs. The thicker materials comes with a glass smooth surface. If you're concerned about yellowing, it can be painted, after sanding, with most exterior paint types.

Each PVC brand seems to have a different core texture. I kind of like the look of it when V carved. One of the outstanding qualities of is how well it can be masked for painting.

On most panels, when wall mounting, I attach a piece of angle aluminum on the wall, top and bottom, which the sign sets on. This allows for a little expansion and contraction. I don't like to punch holes in the front surface of a sign unless they are covered with spme kind decorative feature. Even then I make sure they are loose enough to allow the panel to move around.

Each substrate has it's points. It takes time to figure out which one is best for the job. What will work for me in Oklahoma may not work in Flagstaff AZ. or Bangor Mn.

J.
    Last edited by joe; 11-18-2010 at 09:48 PM.