Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real 4 axis cam

"Pretty close. Kinda like you reading Masters & Johnson"
    I might be insulted if i didn't already know they wrote one of the most important studies known to "Men" lol

It seems to me that the reason for the 5 axis is to get to be able to do "undercuts" and unless this trunion is mounted on the carrige similar to the 5 axis shopbot i saw a picture of. By the time you pay for the program to run it and the 5 axis machine, i'm not sure the thing you are trying to accomplish is worth the investment.

What i would be interested in is, for example, some way to identify where your undercuts might be and rig up some type of support system where you can hand move a router on a floating table where you can move the workpiece to position the undercuts to be 90 degrees to the bit, or have it controlled say by an indexer?

Default Mastercam 5 axis

For what it is worth, this came into my email box today. Chuck

We are pleased to announce the addition of a new course on Mastercam University-Multiaxis Curve, Drill, and Circle Mill.

The Multiaxis Curve, Drill, and Circle Mill course starts out with an overview of some common 5-axis machines. It covers X, Y, Z, a, b, and c-axis combinations and machine zero positions. The course also goes into detail on tool axis control and geometry creation for tool axis control.

Extensive training is also offered on how to use the 5-axis Curve, Drill, and Circle Mill toolpaths.

Machine Simulation is used to illustrate the advantages of seeing your multiaxis part being machined virtually. There are multiple lessons on how to create and manipulate planes for multiaxis machining.

And, as a bonus, there is a complete module on 4th Axis Rotary Machining (including Axis substitution, Axis positioning, and Rotary Surface Machining).

Please visit http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Training/MastercamU/Default.aspxfor more information on Mastercam University's online training.

5-axis = Dig deep, son. Dig deep.

Truth be known, it is very hard to get a return on your investment in 5-axis technology, unless your business REALLY needs it. The hardware part is easy. SB has a 5-axis setup for around $40k - which is cheap as far as 5-axis tools go.

The software, all training aside, will cost you in the neighborhood of $30k to $40k for a complete "don't jerk me around - do what I want" solution. This is for both CAD & CAM suited to 5-axis machining. (E.G. - PowerShape & PowerMill)

If you want to play the band-aid game with different software packages, you will wind up disappointed. You can do a lot with existing economical CAM software. The indexer + 3 axis CAM (and 4th axis plugins) can take you a very long way. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if you NEED the machine to do everything, or if, after you crunch numbers, it makes more sense to hire a hand carver to finish it up.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Whispering Pines Innovations LLC, Grand Rapids MN

Brady, You hit the nail on the head.

it makes more sense to hire a hand carver to finish it up.

As far as that goes I am not too sure most of my customers would know the difference. But when it gets to bothering me that is just what I do myself. Can't afford to hire anyone. Not sure what I would do with axis 4 and 5. I can just keep tack of the 3 that I have and some days I am not too sure about that. I even have a few things hanging on the wall as proof of that.