Thread: Bot model history

Default Bot model history

Hi - I am looking at buying an older model bot. I am pretty new and I'm looking for the history of the model numbers and the differences.

I was emailing someone who had an Alpha, and i thought they had a spindle. But I gues thats not necessarily that case right.

he had a 24x36 bed - I don't see that as an option eny more - does that identify the age/model?

Whats the major difference between alpha and prt?

I know these are newbie questions - but i don't know where else to get the answers - except from botters like you.

thanks

http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?tit...ory_of_ShopBot

"ShopBot Tools, Inc was started in 1996 by Ted Hall to create a tool to make it easier to cut plywood panels for boatbuilding, his hobby. The original ShopBots were cable driven tools that rolled on Unistrut rails, but in 1999 the cable driven tools became PR Tools with the addition of a rack and pinion drive system on the same Unistrut rails. In 2001 the PRT Tools were introduced, using an angled steel rail and precision V Wheels to replace the Unistrut rails and patio-door roller wheels. The PRT Tools also introduced the closed loop [AlphaStep] drive system from Oriental Motors. In 2007 the PRS Tools were introduced, using aluminum extrusions and hardened rails for the rolling gear. The PRS Tools are available as either the PRSalpha with AlphaStep drive system or the PRSstandard with the new Version 4g Control Board that uses Gecko drivers."

The PR, PRT, PRS refers only to the machine chassis and not what type of accessories on on it such as Router or Spindle, vacuum hold down, Air Drills, Automatic Tool Changer, Prox switches, zero plates etc. All these 'Accessories' are optional based on what the machine was to be used for. Many users have customized their machines to some extent or another.

The 24x32 bed you mention would probably make the machine a PRT benchtop or the newer Shopbot Buddy based on the PRS style with aluminum extrusions.

I'll send you a PM with my shop number if you'd like to talk.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Default Thanks

Wow - thanks, I knew there was a lot I didn't know and now I know there's ALOT I do not know. Got your PM I'll get in touch after i do some more homework

Thanks Again!