Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humble little Round Overs

I view this process like thumbnail sketches. I'm often not sure how I'll proceed to the final until I make a carving or two. There are tons of options and I like keeping them open.

The finish will be something like this example

Last edited by joe; 01-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Keep up the great work Joe. Keep up the pictures too! Great stuff.

Very cool Joe! How many years of experience are we talking here? I love this, very inspiring. Can't wait to see the unit painted. Do you actually have "Trupan" in your area? A lot of guys building vacumms would envy you. Thanks again for sharing. Are you going to show some of your painting techniques?? Can't wait to get my bits, haven't found a good local source yet. All the good suppliers seem to be in the US. Haven't had very good experiences importing stuff yet, everyone wants to rip off my arms, brokerage, duty , fees , fee's for charging fees, bla bla bla!! ( a little bit of venting there ) Any how, thanks, looking forward to your next post!

Rik

I will be trying some of these techniques. Way cool!!

Thanks Boys for the complements.

Perhaps Gary Beckwith has some bits in this area. I've used Woodline.com. You can tell by the color they use on their bits. Here is another source. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/order...it_groove.html I hope no one trades their CNC after viewing the demo.

If I get around to attending Wayne's workshop I could show a painting technique or two. Don't know if I'll be back from Central America in time

My next little on-line demo is about making very small letters and giving them a beveled -round over look.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 01-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Joe
    That sign reminds me one below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    100% MADE IN TEXAS! It's not part of China partner.....

Yes Thomas,

One of the critical steps in this craft is finishing. It isn't necessary to be skilled with a brush or silk screening but without them other skills have to take over. One can be assured, a lifetime can be spent learning and perfecting the many skills.

The only way I've been able to continue with this craft is to offer a high quality long lasting product. There isn't a great deal of competition at this level and the future is bright.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Thanks Joe I don't always respond but I read each post with a magnify glass .Its also the same in cabinet the higher you go up the competion is less

Joe
    I totally understand

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Thanks Joe I don't always respond but I read each post with a magnify glass .Its also the same in cabinet the higher you go up the competion is less
    Kevin
    Yes there are plenty of box shops and it seems like anyway to get more business their mentality is to under bid everyone. I see those contracts every day at my day job.

By learning from wise man like Mr. Chapman, Mr. Crumley and others I hope to leave my current employer behind.
    100% MADE IN TEXAS! It's not part of China partner.....

Thanks Mr. T. but I'm no wise man nor am I and exceptional artist. I'm just dedicated.

About the vinyl shops. They produce a necessary product and I'm glad the're out there. Every once in a while there will be an artists in one of those shops and some good work comes out but the bar is very low for creativity. One of my friends who runs one of these shops tells me that creativity can get in the way of profit. They hold tight reigns on creativity. It's creativity isn't necessary to make a profit!

At one time we all thought every sign shop would have a CNC. Wasn't that silly. These machines take a lot of skill to operate and few people are aware of the learning curve when getting in. There isn't any shortcut to acquiring the necessary skills but once acquired the fun begins.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 02-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.