Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOOD BREADBOARDS

Hello Everyone,

I to am new to shopbot and trying to make cutting boards out of white oak for christmas as well. My problem is that I can not get the text to cut and look good when its done. I am using a 30deg 30thou tip engraving tool. I am only trying to go .0312 deep so I did not think that would be a problem. However, that is not the case. I have tried to cut in V-carving and Following the Vector. Why can't I get any quality???? Do I just need a 60deg V-carving bit?? I am sure part wizard will cut text I just am missing a step. any help would be great Thank-You

Joel

Joel,
    I am not sure that you'll get a very clean line in white oak with such a severe V bit. I would guess that you are going to get a lot of tear out, partially because of the grain structure of the oak, and also because of the bit geometry.
    Sometimes you can get a cleaner cut in woods like oak if you use a bit with a wider angle. Unless you are restricted by the nature of the job, OR the size of your material I think I'd try something like a 90 degree (and when space allows I go to a 120 degree )bit. Obviously the wider angle makes your letters wider, but you can limit the depth in the software.
    As a side note wider letters gild, and paint better, and faster too...
    If you HAVE to use such a severe V bit could you switch over to a cherry or maple instead?

Bill,

Thank-You Very Much for the info and I am not restricted in any way from using a 90 or 120 degree bit. I was only going to go .125 deep just to get the logo on back of the piece. Does a wider bit mean I have to move the spacing of the letters on a smaller logo say 2.5 inches wide or will normal spacing still give a quality cut? What I am doing is putting my logo on the back and give it to relatives.

Bill,

Thank-You agian I will get the 120deg and repost as soon as I can.

Merry Christmas Sir

Joel