Thread: Budget CNC

Default Budget CNC

This should stir things up for Shark and Carveright. Wont be long before every hobbyist has a CNC. Good as a dedicated unit just to v carve your brand on the back of signs.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...paign=12IN11NL
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Quote Originally Posted by The Woodcraft ad
    ... Backed by the best technical support team in the CNC industry...
    I throw the BS flag. I know where the best tech support for CNC is.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

They sell the same machine under the "Oliver" name.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...g-machine.aspx

I assume more Chinese stuff trying to flood the market.

Nobody at my store knows anything about CNC.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I wonder what speed it carves at ? I looked at one at the iwf and it will NOT work with aspire . It has its own software and from what i can remember its mighty slow

I played with one at the Woodcraft in Seattle. Didn't have the heart to tell the sales guy about my 'Bot.

I saw them at the WoodCraft store too...I was not even a little bit impressed. In fact, I was disappointed to see the General name on such a machine. The performance and accuracy are pretty lame...The Desktop walks all over it in every category - even when you compare the larger one that is close to the SBDT machinable area size. Night and day difference. SB's hardware and drive system is superior by a mile...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The design looks strangely familiar..

Its like they took the deck and gantry from the SB desktop, and the controls of a CW.

It will get buyers, just like the CW did. When somebody spends 2K on a machine they wont pay the fair price for the type of software needed to design for it.

Folks with high-end 3D printers no doubt scoff at the maker bots also, yet having a 3D printer for around 1.5K has changed that industry forever. What is needed is a equivalently priced blue machine aimed at the same market.

Makes me wonder what the sales of the Modella product line will do when this is more available and much less expensive. The Modella(s) are also closed software systems.

And with certainty the future is CNCs all over the place. However I suspect that if you call for support it will be "please listen to the entire message as our options have changed.. now for english.. press 37 and have your credit card ready.."

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

I remember years back 2003 when I got my PRT on the shop bot forum there was a thread about everybody will have a cnc machine and it will ruin business for all that are established.

Well here it is almost ten years later and it has not happened, to me it takes more than having a tool in your shop to create, it takes inventiveness, creativity, art, engineering all rolled up into one and then maybe you get something unique.

And that is what it is all about. I think anyway.