Thread: HVLP Spraying clear coat.

Default HVLP Spraying clear coat.

Hey guys and gals.

I am wondering if any of you spray HVLP and what you would recommend for a nice waterproof product for plywood furniture?
    Been using Varithane and its easy to work with but I have had concerns for wet drinks and such penetrating, I have seen a few and I can't have that.

Thanks very much.

Brock
    Happiness is only one thought away.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Egress Sound & Design View Post
    Hey guys and gals.

I am wondering if any of you spray HVLP and what you would recommend for a nice waterproof product for plywood furniture?
    Been using Varithane and its easy to work with but I have had concerns for wet drinks and such penetrating, I have seen a few and I can't have that.

Thanks very much.

Brock
    Is the furniture for interior or exterior use? For interior I use MLCampbell Duravar conversion varnish and have had excellent results on furniture and cabinetry. For exterior there are couple of oil products that soak into the wood giving it pretty good protection:

- Cabots Australian Timber Oil
    - Deft Oil

I'm sure there are many others.

I use a Cricket sprayer to apply to cedar signs and solid wood (white oak) outdoor furniture . I've had a cedar sign with two coats of Timber Oil facing west hung up for 5 years now and it is just showing signs (no pun intended) that it needs a new coat of Timber Oil.

I'm getting ready to construct one of these plywood shelters for farming purposes and will probably be using the Timber Oil on it.

No matter what you use for exterior, you will have to apply new coats every couple of years to keep it looking good.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default Interior use

Hey Don,

Thanks very much for the information. This is all interior use.

Brock,

Any finish that has something spilled on it and not cleaned up will have problems. Even epoxy. The conversion varnish holds up REALLY well to spills and general moisture problems. But I do warn customers that if something is spilled they need to wipe it up immediately. Some finishes will stand up longer to the spill then others.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

With the catalyzed lacquer I use (post cat) you can leave a sweating glass on it for days without issue. Even spilled alcoholic drinks won't harm it if you cleanup after the party is over

I have tried many finishes over the years but have not found anything yet to match the product I have been using for nearly 20 years now, "beauty lac" by John E. Goudey manufacturing in Toronto, Canada. I tried some ml Campbell pre-cat and conversion varnish a few years back after being pestered by the sales person, but my pen testing showed it was no where near the durability.

Thanks Andrew and Don,

ironically Andrew I am located just a few KM away from Goudeys and use their stain here at my shop. I will look into it with them. I have also been advised to try ML Campbells Agualente. Was this the product you tried from them?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Egress Sound & Design View Post
    Thanks Andrew and Don,

ironically Andrew I am located just a few KM away from Goudeys and use their stain here at my shop. I will look into it with them. I have also been advised to try ML Campbells Agualente. Was this the product you tried from them?
    I failed to see that you are in Toronto!

The thing with Goudey's Beautylac (their name for their post-catalyzed lacquer) is that it is IMO as good or better than any other brand of post cat lac or conversion varnish (the names seem to refer to the same thing, a catalyzed synthetic finish) I have tried. I have been tempted to try various finished from a lot of suppliers over the years. But, I do up some test panels and try my own scratch/scuff/peel tests (I did this back in college) and I always stick with Goudey's.

The other thing is you can ALWAYS speak to a chemist if you have any inquiries or issues. And, since you can buy direct from the manufacturer, it is less cost.

We used to buy our finishes from CFS (chemical finishing systems) which was a also a Toronto based company. They went belly up about 23 or 24 years ago and another shop turned us on to Goudey's. Been using their stuff ever since.

I would go check them out especially if you are that close.

I have been using Cambells products and have been happy but when they run out I may try Goudey's Beautylac if they ship to the US. Did a quick look on their site but could not find a dealer listing.